08

; 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤, 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞— 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐮𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐞𝐭𝐥𝐲.

It was during dinner the next night that Jean miraculously approached [Name] without any hint of animosity, and sat down right beside her. Sitting on her side of the table were Sasha and Connie, while Eren, Mikasa, and Armin sat across from them.

To say that their faces were full of surprise would be an understatement.

"Good evening, [Name]," greeted Jean smoothly, placing his tray on the table and taking the seat next to the Cordtz. Without skipping a beat, [Name] looked directly at Jean and nodded curtly, returning his greeting with a polite, "Good evening, Jean."

The noise from the tables surrounding them gradually subsided as multiple prying eyes focused on the two, with many wondering whether tonight would be filled with more explosive entertainment. However, much to everyone's bewilderment—and equally, chagrin—[Name] and Jean remained calm and civilised.

"How was your day today?" asked Jean, ignoring the numerous soldiers who were watching the scene unfold with bated breath. [Name], sipping a spoonful of her tomato soup, casually replied, "Boring, as usual. Yours?"

As the pair continued with their small talk, Mikasa looked towards Eren and Armin in utter confusion.

"Did I... miss something?" she asked, looking between [Name] and Jean with an eyebrow raised.

"They called a truce yesterday," explained the Arlert, who looked just as shocked as Mikasa. "I didn't think they'd take it so seriously, though..."

"Ya know, they actually look kind of nice when they aren't arguing," whispered Sasha behind her hand, scooting away from the side of the table that [Name] and Jean were sitting at so that she could air her opinion safely. "Don't you think they look kinda cute together?"

Armin tilted his head to the side as he analysed the pair, blinking.

"Maybe Hange was right after all," snickered Connie, joining in on the covert discussion. "Maybe they just need to bone. Maybe they already have. Maybe that's why they're so friendly all of a sudden."

"Connie!" exclaimed Armin in embarrassment, frantically looking at [Name] and Jean to see if either of them had heard Connie's outrageous comment. "Don't say that!"

"I'm just saying what everyone's thinking!"

The conversation about the drastic change in [Name] and Jean's relationship continued in fervent, hushed whispers, but Eren and Mikasa remained impartial to the topic.

"Eat up, Eren."

Mikasa ate her dinner in silence, beckoning for Eren to follow suit.

Looking at the sight before him, though, Eren was far from hungry. While he appeared to be detached from what was happening around him, he was silently listening intensely to every word exchanged between [Name] and Jean.

"... sorry, the screwdriver left a mark on your forehead."

Eren watched as [Name] snorted at Jean's comment, then turned towards the Kirstein while pointing towards the welt that his thrown screwdriver had left on her.

"It looks like one nasty ass pimple, I can tell you that," laughed [Name] loudly, earning a smile from Jean. He joined in on her mirth, before reaching forward and brushing over the bruise with his thumb. Those who were paying attention to the pair let out a collective gasp, but for the most part, everyone had since turned away from the two and resumed their own conversations.