Chapter 14 - In Searching for The Truth

Start from the beginning

'I have an impression I had seen him somewhere before...' She stared at his silhouette and face, trying hard to remember it. 'Where did I meet him...?' Nothing came to her mind, however, so as soon as he left in his direction, first she made sure that no one was following her, and then carefully returned to her rented room.

****

The next few days, Emiko conducted her own investigation of Richard Braun, increasingly making sure that his death was linked to the Edmund Fahren case and to Hans Georg Schuwald.

She put the puzzles piece by piece, revealing more secret paths... leading to a young, handsome blonde. The progress in this matter, despite the lurking danger, pleased her greatly. Finally, she began to feel that she hadn't come to this country in vain.

One day, while she was browsing the news from the newspaper for more information, she noticed an advertisement that caught her attention in a special way.

Let's recall our cheating.

-Rudy

'This is undoubtedly a message from Dr. Gillen!' Emiko smiled slightly, following the entire text with her eyes. 'Is he also in this town? Or maybe it's not direct, but he wants to contact my brother about some matter? I hope he won't tell him about my arrival...' At the very thought, the girl shivered a lot, then shook her head firmly to throw her worry away. 'No. He certainly won't. He promised me that...' She focused again to return to the investigation of the detective case.

The newspapers didn't give much information, therefore, being most cautious, Emiko decided to go to Dr. Reichwein and find out his position on the matter, and, if the circumstances are favorable, let him also get to know her secret, just like Dr. Gillen. The truth had to see the light of day at all costs...

****

Full of determination, she stood at the door of Dr. Reichwein's house, calmly settling everything in her mind once again. When she finally came to the conclusion that she knew everything she needed at the moment, she took a deep breath after a short while and knocked on the hard wooden surface.

It didn't take long for hearing footsteps coming closer to her, and the door opened, revealing Dr. Reichwein himself.

"Yes? How can I help you?" said the old gentleman, carefully looking at her.

"Good afternoon. Could I get a little of your time, doctor?" Emiko looked at his face with serious eyes. "I'd like to talk..." Here she lowered her voice and brought her body slightly closer to him. "...about the murder of Mr. Richard Braun." At these words the man opened his eyes wide.

"Who are you?!" It was obvious that the mere mention of the former detective made him nervous. Emiko moved away from him a bit, then gently turned towards him.

"Don't worry, I won't hurt you, sir. I just want to find the truth." The doctor looked at her for a moment longer, then waved her forward into his apartment.

"I understand that you have your own case? However, I can say that it is quite dangerous. You'd better stay out of this..." They both headed into the living room, where a boy of about ten years old was sitting in one of the armchairs, staring out the window with worry written all over his face. As soon as he noticed that two people had entered the living room, he turned towards them, curiosity written in his eyes.

"Dieter, would you please leave me alone with this lady for a while? We need to talk about something."

"Okay..." The boy nodded understandingly, then got off the chair and headed through the door to the other room, passing them at the entrance on the way. Before he completely walked past them, the young woman gave him an apologetic smile.