1. Leaving Home

"Sydney, your phone is ringing!"

My mom called for me from the kitchen. I was currently in my bathroom getting ready for the day. I unplugged my hair dryer and gave myself one last look in the mirror before running downstairs. I was on holiday break staying home with my family before I would have to go back to college in January. I found my mom standing against the counter on the phone and was speaking to whomever was on the other line.

"Here she is, and what was your name again?" She asked before handing me over the phone, "It's a woman named Jennifer, she said she was calling regarding your callback."

I let out a sigh figuring it was going to be another rejection call. I had already received two this week after auditioning for a few different commercials and possibly pilot tv shows.  I don't know how many more rejections I could take. "Hi, this is Sydney," I answered putting the phone to my ear and forcing a smile on my face.

"Hi Ms. Sweeney, this is Jennifer, the casting director of the new Netflix show that you auditioned for. We met briefly about a month ago," the woman said on the line my mom was eyeing me looking for any sign of what I was actually feeling or what was happening.

"Yes, of course, thank you so much for calling me," I said preparing myself for her next words.

"Of course, I wanted to reach out to you and discuss your schedule for this coming summer," she started.

Well, this was different.

"Wait, you mean..." I stopped, trying to compose myself before hearing the rest of what she had to say. My mom looked at me with eager eyes trying to read my face as I grabbed her arm to try and calm myself.

"We'd love to offer you the role of Samantha Larusso in the show," she said optimistically.

"Oh my gosh! Yes! Thank you so much for this opportunity!" I exclaimed as I smiled from ear to ear.

"We're so excited to have you! I'm going to email you a document that you can go over and respond with your schedule. We don't plan on shooting until May but we'll be in touch over the next few months," Jennifer noted.

"Of course! I look forward to hearing from you," I smiled ear to ear. Jennifer congratulated me once more and then we hung up.

"I got the part!" I squealed jumping up and down as my mom hugged me right after.

"You got it! I'm so proud of you, honey!" She smiled as she held me in her arms. "We have to celebrate! This is so exciting! Your first big break!"

~~~

I had been offered the role of Sam Larusso five months ago and now I was packing my things to temporarily move to Atlanta to film the Netflix show, Cobra Kai. Over the past few months I was given the script for the first episode along with any notes we needed on my character. There was going to be ten episodes and I was going to playing one of the lead roles who would be Daniel Larusso's daughter. I can't believe I'm going to meet Ralph Macchio and so many other new people.

I looked around my room for anything else that I might need but everything was already packed up into a few boxes.  I was ready for change, this past semester almost kicked my butt and I needed to get away from it all to try something new. I had recently gone through a break up, he didn't think we could do long distance even if it was just for the summer. It sucked thinking you had found your forever person and then they gave up on you at the smallest inconvenience.

"You got everything?" Dad asked as he stepped in the doorway pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I think so," I said enthusiastically, clearing the previous thoughts from my head.

We walked downstairs where my mom was packing some snacks for the drive from Pennsylvania to Atlanta.

"Well I think you're all set," she said putting them all in a bag and handing it to me.

We said our goodbyes. Both of my parents were sad that I was leaving but they knew I had been waiting for this moment. Once I pulled out of my driveway I turned the radio up and started the beginning of this new journey.