Chapter 1-I Never Want To Fall Asleep

I scanned my features in the mirror as I washed my face. Freshly sunburnt from spending the day outside, my freckles had darkened on my face and shoulders. My eyes are dark blue and a little bloodshot from the joint I smoked in the shower. I put in some eye drops then applied a coat of mascara. I brushed my strawberry blonde hair and let it air dry after putting products in to help define my curls.

I grabbed a burnt orange bandeau top and a pair of light wash jeans with flared legs from my closet and threw them on. I smiled when I caught my reflection in the mirror and slipped on my white Chelsea boots along with as many chunky necklaces and rings I could find.

"Are you almost ready?" My friend, Mia, called from the living room. "The party started at 6, and it's already 6:30!" She pleaded as I slowly emerged from my bedroom purposely taking longer to tease her. "Raegan, please...I need this after my awful week."

She was wearing a dark green shirt dress that flowed out before stopping mid thigh. She paired it with a pair of brown knee-high boots. Her hair was recently cut into a short bob, but she pulled the front into two small space buns. She looked like an alternate version of tinker bell. I laughed as she got behind me and began pushing me towards the front door. My mom was at book club, and my dad was at work, so I left a note by the door. On the way out, I grabbed a white lace vest and my keys. We walked down the steps in front of my parents' house, and climbed into my lime green Volkswagen bug. I had just gotten it for my graduation present from my parents, and I was excited to show it off at this graduation party.

We parked down the road from the Kiszka house, and walked up to the door. Sammy opened the door and pulled me into a hug. "Raegan! I was hoping you'd make it! Who is your beautiful friend?" He asked as he released me and took Mia's hands in his.

I giggled and said, "This is my friend, Mia. Mia, this is my friend, Sammy. It's his house and party." She smiled and looked impressed as he lead her around. I laughed as I realized the only two people I knew were ditching me for the night. I wandered into the kitchen to make myself a drink.

I looked through all the liquor options before pouring myself a few shots of tequila and downing them back to back. "Do you care to fill mine, too?" A tall, handsome man asked gently as he sat his empty shot glass next to mine. I glanced up to meet his beautiful brown eyes, and forgot how to breathe. His long dark hair was pulled up into a loose bun, with small braids running along the top of his head. His jaw was sharp and angular, and his nose was large, but fit his face well. He looked like he was carved from marble, and I was immediately smitten.

"Sure," I replied happily as I poured us both another shot. "My name is Raegan, what's yours?" I asked confidently as I leaned back against the counter behind me. I had never been shy, and despite my heart threatening to beat out of my chest, I was not going to let myself be shy now.

"I'm Danny," he said with a slight blush as he looked away to break our eye contact. "Sammy has told me about you," he added with a grin that made my knees weak.

"Oh really? Hopefully good things?" I hoped, but knowing Sam, I assumed the opposite. I used my palms to lift myself up and slid backwards onto the counter. Danny giggled and nodded.

"He keeps trying to convince me to ask you out, but I've always been to nervous.." he said as he looked up at me with an uneasy smile. "He sent me in here to get a drink, but now I'm realizing it was just his way of introducing us.." he laughed as he stepped forward, closing the distance between us.

I poured us another round of shots and turned my glass up before asking him to pour us one more. He took my glass and turned around to fill it again, giggling as the tequila began to take effect. I smiled as I admired his cute little butt. He turned around and grinned when he caught me. "Were you just checking me out?" He teased as he handed me my shot.