Chapter 11

"Uh-oh." Cade said, dating towards Aerie.

"can you like— fix it?" Aerie said, started to tremble again, "Like what the book says immortals can do?? Fix objects?"

"I can— try." Cade replied, staring at the broken pieces on the ground.

'Hey you!' The shop owner shouted when she ran from the back of the store. The lady looked like someone in their 60s, but with the fierce voice that broke the silence, Aerie jerked backwards. 'You broke my stuff, you pay for it!!'

"Oh no." Cade said, "Too late."

"What?" Aerie replied, still staring at the pieces on the ground.

"Let's go." Cade said, grabbing Aerie by her hand as he ran for the door, "She's going to make us pay— a LOT, and we are going be scolded non stop for hours and hours."

"Huh?" Aerie replied, still confused of the situation, "what???"

"In short: You're going to be nagged non stop for hours if you stand here and allow yourself to be caught." Cade replied.

Aerie followed him, being pull- dragged out of the store and into the crowded street.

'Don' think of going, children!' She yelled and chased at them out of them the street. Cade accelerated, and soon they were running on the street just like teenagers in their 10s. The shop keeper lady chased after them, and the two of them simply ran faster.

"Don't look back," Cade said, still grabbing her hand as the two of them made a sharp turn into a back ally, "She would only recognize you easier, and we would blend less well with the crowd around us."

The road between the buildings were narrow. Curtains hung across one building and onto the another, blocking the moon that hung above them. Although it was not raining, Aerie could occasionally feel a few drops of water dropping onto her head when the two ran across the ally. She stared up, she had never seen a sight of curtains covering the sky. To Aerie, it was unique. It was beautiful.

Aerie couldn't help looking back when they ran. The distant figure of the shopkeeper limping after them, trying her best to have them pay for her loss became smaller and smaller. They had been quite ahead of her, which had made Aerie smile. From the unconsciousness. The wind blew in her ears, it had been long before she had been in a chase.

Cade pulled her through a few more sharp turns in the narrow roads that he seemed to had remembered well, before the two ran towards a bright end. The world became noisy again, the people filled the streets once again and Aerie could feel her eardrums bursting under her ears again.

It was not like the back ally where they ran; that was much more quiet. The Main Street, apparently another one, was noisy— deafeningly noisy.

Cade took a few deep breaths as they tried to walked normally just like everybody else, "Seems like we lost her."

"Yeah." Aerie said, "But why run in the first place? It's not like— we cant pay her."

"First off," Cade started, "I don't have a wallet thats like a black hole. You can't pull bank notes endlessly from it, don't get me wrong."

Aerie giggled, "Okay. You're just saying that you're poor in a fancy way."

"And secondly," Cade continued, "If you have never been nagged- scolded- bothered- annoyed- by a chinese shop keeper in her seventies, then don't. They have a massive lung volume, and so, they have a MASSIVE volume for words against you, judging you for every detail of you until you got tired."

"Wait. No." Cade continued, "They would continue even if you're tired. And even when the last breath of your mortal body left your body, they would still continue. Not even when you pass out. Not even if you went to heaven or hell- they would go to hell themselves to find you, and tell you off."