Dancing With the Enemy

Start from the beginning

After the long stillness, the Fjerdan King looks from the dance floor back to me. "Would you care to dance?" he asks with an extended hand.

I hide my disgust for the idea and reach out to take it, but the Darkling stops me. "I would prefer the first dance to be between husband and wife if you do not mind." This is no time to be jealous. I glare at the Darkling and proclaim, "I think we can make an exception for the Fjerdan King." I lean into the Darkling, pressing my lips to his ear. Then I mutter under my breath, "by any means necessary, remember."

The Darkling watches with a firey gaze but does not stop my hand as it slips into the King's rough one. Aleksander seems to gain back his composure as he addresses Queen Leyti. Before I can hear what they are going to discuss, I am led out to the middle of the room and the violins flow through the crowd's collective murmurs.

I have never been this close to King Grimjer before. The first thing I notice is his smell. He oddly smells of death, though he does not actively do the killing, he has given orders to murder thousands. Ravkan blood coats the hands that I am holding in my own. I suppress the shiver that is building down the length of my spine and focus on the music.

"Have you given my suggestion any further thought, Miss Starkov?" he says to break the silence.

"I have," I lie. "And have you thought about my offer, King Grimjer?"

"Indeed, I have." We stare at each other without breaking eye contact. We both know that the other is lying, but it is surprisingly him who breaks first. He sighs. "I truly want what is best for you. I wish you would realize that your life is not better with him." I glance at Aleksander, who is still speaking with the Shu Queen, but every once in a while he aims a suspicious eye towards us.

"Respectfully, I doubt you know what is best for me, King Grimjer."

"I beg to disagree. I think you have been blinded by the things that demon has given to you. You would be much stronger alone."

        He wants me to take Aleksander's place and rule alone. He thinks that would make Ravka weak with only me as a ruler. Aleksander is the threat, and I the hope. We are stronger together and he knows that.

"Maybe before, but now we are bonded by power. We are one."

His gaze eats through me like acid. I find it harder to look him in the eyes with every passing second. He shakes his head. "You let yourself be bound to him like a slave in chains. I thought you were stronger than that, Alina Starkov. Perhaps I overestimated you."

My rage flows through me, boiling over like a pot of hot anger. "I think this dance is over. Thank you for coming, King Grimjer." I peel my grip apart from his before he can kiss my hand in departure. I hear a voice from behind me say, "I would be more than happy to trade partners, King Grimjer." The air seems to leave my lungs and my eyes grow wide. That voice... Familiar, confident to the point of sounding cocky.

"Nikolai!" I gasp, spinning around. He offers a hand and smiles his princely smile. "May I have this dance?" I ignore his gesture and fling my arms around him tightly, burying my face in his chest.

"Nikolai Lantsov, is that really you?" King Grimjer questions behind me.

        "In the flesh," he beams. "Well, mostly flesh anyways. A few scales that weren't there before."

"A lot has changed since I saw you last. You've gone from a prince to a traitor of Ravka in a matter of months. Quite impressive."

"As blunt as always I see," he smirks. I can't bring myself to let go of Nikolai out of fear that he will fade away or I will wake up from this beautiful dream. "H-how?" I stammer.