18|

~

~

It was the day before Daphne and Simon's wedding, one of the biggest events in the region. Despite the ongoing rivalry between their families, Daphne had still extended an invitation to Elena and her family, and for the most part, everything appeared to be going on as normal. As for Elena, she seemed like a completely different person from her family's point of view. On the very next morning, she woke up and started her day normally as if the events of last night did not bother her, and it looked like Benedict was completely erased from her mind.

While Lord Bennet was in his study, Arthur was out at the club and the rest of the Bennet family were sitting quietly in the drawing room minding their own business, only Elena was making any noise. She played a beautiful melody on her harp, an instrument that she had practiced and perfected for years. The air in the Bennet Estate was thick with the tension of what was to come,
no one willing to speak of Elena's state the night before.

"You've become more proficient at the harp it seems, my darling." Lady Bennet commented right after Elena had finished her piece. "How wonderful."

But Elena ignored her mother, still mad about the fact that she promised her to Lord Hawthorn without any consent. After all, it was partially Lady Bennet's fault that all of this happened. She simply resumed her harp playing, now starting another piece.

Elizabeth was aware of what happened between Elena and Anastasia, but she knew nothing about what happened outside of the Bennet estate. She could clearly sense that her sister was not well and that something had definitely happened the night before. She put the book she was reading down and went to take a seat next to her.

"What happened last night after your fight with mama and papa?" She asked, placing her soft hand on Elena's shoulder.

"I went to see Lord Hawthorn and explained to him that I couldn't marry him." She replied, not even stopping her playing once.

Elizabeth knew that she wasn't telling her everything. "And what happened after that?" She asked again. "Did something happen with Mr. Bridgerton?"

Her little sister flinched at the mention of the man's name and stopped playing, but quickly composed herself and cleared her throat. "We both decided that it was best to not see each other again socially. That way there will be no complications." She explained casually. "It's quite all right, I don't mind."

Elizabeth was about to say something but Isabella suddenly barged into the room yelling excitedly, startling everyone in the room and making them jump. "He's here! He's here! He's at the door!" She ran towards the large window and looked out. "Lord Watson!"

Elizabeth and Elena quickly shared a glance.

"Lord Watson is here?" Lady Bennet exclaimed, jolting out of her seat. "Oh my goodness!" She started running around the drawing room, putting back every object that was cluttering the room. "Everybody, clean up whatever you can find and behave naturally!"