[ 012 ] the well walker

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER TWELVE !

HEART OF GLASSCHAPTER TWELVE !

[ season two, episode four ]

Water decontamination was certainly not something Marley expected herself to be participating in that balmy afternoon.

A small group of the travellers and Greene's alike pried back the rotting wooden slats of rhe water-well furthest from the house. Slivers of golden sunlight bounced into the cavernous well, illuminating the thick grooves cascading across every inch of the ancient stone, and they all simultaneously stepped forward and peered over the stumpy cobbled walls. Inside — gurgling hungrily and stumbling around in the shallow bed of water — was a bloated, slimy walker.

Marley grimaced, raising a hand to her mouth. "Eugh."

It was a well walker.

The light seeping in from the dazzling sun garnered the creature's attention. With a throaty snarl, the well-walker raised it's grubby, swollen hands and clawed maliciously at the air — desperate to reach the food looming above the well's opening like heavy clouds.

Maggie pressed a hand to her pinched lips, retching in utmost disgust, but trying to keep it subdued to the best of her ability.

And the smell. That didn't help.

Marley prodded her nose with the base of her wrist to try and block out the strong wafts of decaying air floating into her nostrils, but it did not help in the slightest.

"How long do you think it's been down there?" Glenn asked, shining a torch down into the depths of the well.

"Long enough to grow gills." Andrea said.

Lori crossed her arms over her chest, leaning back slightly. "We can't leave it in there. God knows what's it doing to the water."

Marley's eyes flared in concern, panic seeping through to her hollowed bones as if her flesh had been doused in bleach. She hadn't drank the water from that particular well, had she? Dear God . . . no. The very last thing she ( nor anybody else ) wanted was to warp into one of those things — more specifically the one splodging around in the murky water beneath her feet.

Dale noticed her deep-setting panic, and placed a warm hand on her shoulder. "We haven't drank a single drop of water from this well. No need to fret."

She pressed her lips into a dainty, relieved smile. Dale's words of wisdom brought her some relief.

"We got to get it out." Shane demanded, rubbing a hand over the prickly surface of his newly shaved head.