Part 1, Ch 9- Scrunchie

You shift in bed, pulling the covers closer. They're softer than usual, for some reason. And you're so comfortable. You don't remember going to bed in your full clothes, you think sleepily, slowly becoming conscious. You open your eyes.

You're in Bruno's apartment, nestled under his covers. Laying very still, you look around, realizing there's no pillows next to you. Did he sleep next to you? Where is he?

You bolt up, hitting your head on a shelf with a yelp. A few rats squeak and hop off. A planter falls to the floor..
A tired looking Bruno pops up from the floor at the end of the bed, hair a mess. Did he seriously sleep on the floor? Did he carry you there? What kind of respect juice had he been drinking? You were guiltily disappointed he slept on the floor, but appreciative of his manners. You rub your head.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep." He shrugs.

"You were out. I tried to wake you up but it wasn't working so... I didn't want to be rude. It's Saturday anyways, no classes." He stands up and goes towards the kitchenette, disappearing.

You get up and stretch, uncomfortable from sleeping in your actual clothes from yesterday. You fix the planter, one of the rats sitting innocently on the night table. You whisper a "Hey, bud" to it, and it skitters away. You turn around and bump directly into Bruno, who drops something. His hair is a disaster, flat on the left side.

"Ice! For your head. That bump sounded loud." He drops a cold ice pack into your empty palm and practically runs to the bathroom. "That's my nice ice pack, so please don't take it with you when you leave!" He calls from the bathroom. You hear him chuckle about the rhyme.

You wander into the living room, holding the ice pack to the growing bruise on your head.

You pat your pockets, looking for your phone, and find it on the kitchen counter. His is next to it. He must have plugged yours in instead. You pick yours up and switch the plug. The screen flickers on to a lockscreen what must be his family, with Bruno in the center. Must be his. You turn it off and pick up your phone, feeling like you're prying. You check your phone and sigh.

You have so many notifications. Most from Candace, asking where you are and eventually giving up. A few school emails, and a text from your mom. You wonder if he saw your lockscreen of you and Sprinkles. It's not a flattering photo, but Sprinkles was cute. Oh well. You start by reading through the dozens of texts in your notifications. At least Candace messages out of genuine concern.

Yo where are you, I haven't heard from you? -C

You haven't been gone without a text or anything this long in forever. You good? -C

Just checking in again -C

Should I assume you're with Bruno?-C

Nevermind. He texted me. Be safe ;p -C

I'll be home soon, you text back quickly. Before you get any ideas, nothing happened.

Candace's typing bubble pops up immediately

WHAT HAPPENED -C

Literally nothing. He cooks good tho.

You're hopeless. I really do think hes into you, whether he knows it or not.-C

You shut your phone off as you hear him come out from the bathroom. She's usually right about these things, you think as you swipe the notifications away.

"I should head out soon," you say, watching him enter the kitchenette. His hair is fixed but falls in his face as he picks up a rat. "Have you ever bothered to put your hair back? It'll get it out of your face."

"They all break," he answers, booping noses with the rat. "It's too annoying." You pull the scrunchie off of your wrist, and hold it out. It's a soft yellow, with tiny white flowers embroidered onto it. He puts the rat down.

"Try this? Might work better." He looks at it.

"Are you sure?" He looks uncertain.

"Yeah. Where's the nearest mirror?" You hand him the scrunchie.

"Bathroom." He leads you over and opens the door. The bathroom is small but cozy, also filled with knick knacks. You watch as he pulls his hair up, clumsily looping the scrunchie around it. It's messy, and he frowns. "It's been a while. I don't think this will work." He goes to take it out.

"Can I... Help?" you think, trying to figure out how to teach someone to use a scrunchie. After about 5 minutes of quiet, awkward silence, you give up. You'd have to show him.

"If you want."

"I'm going to have to do it myself to show you properly." He nods. You look around and find a small box on the ground. Standing on it, the top of his head reaches around your neck.

"Like this," you say, starting to collect his hair in your hand slowly and gently. He tenses. It's extremely soft, with a few grey hairs throughout. Must be the stress. Or genetic. "You just kinda pull it through."

He grins, looking at his ponytail in the mirror. It shows off his little earrings, and only a few rebel curls have escaped. You can definitely see why normal hair ties break.

"Can I keep it?"

"Yeah, go ahead. I have plenty more. Thanks for... letting me stay over. Again." You start to gather your stuff, after catching a glimpse of the time.

"No problem. You're leaving?"

"Yeah... I've got stuff to do. And my roommate is expecting me."

"Oh nah, she'll be busy. Theatre department has some fundraiser event today. I gotta get going too."

There's an awkward silence again, and you take that as your cue to gather your bag and jacket. He makes some quick toast, handing you a couple slices before you head out. You wish him luck before starting the trek back.

Roughly 20 minutes after you open the door to your apartment and flop on your bed, your phone buzzes.

What happeneddddd -C

WHAT DID YOU DO TO BRUNO AND WHY IS HIS HAIR IN A PONYTAIL. -C

IS THAT YOUR SCRUNCHIE -C

You start typing, only to get another message from Tony, another Theatre major friend.

Is that your scrunchie that Bruno's wearing????????? -Tony

Of course Tony would recognize it. He was with you when you bought it from the handmade fair.

Yeah.

Wtf, y/n. -Tony

You switch back to Candace.

*Was* my scrunchie. His now.

THAT DOESNT ANSWER MY OTHER QUESTION -C

WHY ARE YOU TYPING IN ALL CAPS

You exit the app, unsure how to answer that question and hoping to dodge it. You can't help but smile a little.