Part 1, Ch 5- Cold shoulder

You hear the song of your alarm drift into your dreams, and awake with a start in a panic, looking at Bruno's ceiling. You are covered in a cold sweat, and the memories of last night come to you. Was that a dream? It didn't feel like it. You remember the fear, the glowing green eyes. What the fuck was that. Either way, you need to get away from him. This was a mistake, and you definitely should have listened to those tropes.

Hearing the shower running, you get up in a hurry, grabbing your still-damp clothes. Gross. Better than nothing. As you quickly change, you find yourself wondering if it was a dream. Maybe the coffee gave you weird dream. The shower stops as you pull your sweater over your head. You peek towards the rat cage and see a few more inside, doing all sorts of nothing. The hair raises on the back of your neck. Not a dream, then. Tiny footprints dotted in the sand on the floor tell you the truth. You shiver, looking at the 3 other rats in the cage that seemed to just appear. Where did they come from?

You find a small thing of sticky notes on his nightstand, and scribble a hasty thank you and goodbye. Sticking it on the door, you get the hell out of there. The metal steps creak on the way down, but at least the morning is warm, minus the occasional breeze that makes you shiver.

Arriving back at your apartment, you slam the door shut, drawing Candace out from her room.

"Wow. You look like shit. You good?" You don't answer, instead going directly to your room and locking the door, flopping onto the bed, your brain a mush of confusing thoughts. Fear is definitely one of those thoughts.

What did I think would happen? Obviously this guy hides for a reason. Was the glowing eyes and the rats the reason his mom wanted him alone? What else was he hiding?

And almost more importantly, why are you so upset over a... friend... you've known for a few days? Why does your heart feel like it's in your stomach, and why the hell do you feel so betrayed. He's sweet and all... but that's not fucking normal. Explains the mumbling. You wonder if he found the note.

You pack your bags, angry that you have no idea what you're feeling. Your vision goes blurry and you lay in your bed again. What bad timing. The exam is today. Candace knocks on the door.

"Hey, were you with Bruno last night? You never told me where you were."

"I don't want to talk about him," I snap.

"Sorry." She sounds confused. It's rare for her to not prod further, but you're glad she doesn't.

Fuck this.

You head to class still fighting a lump in your throat. Should I tell someone? They probably wouldn't even believe me if I did. All you can think about is Bruno. What does it mean? You suck in a breath, and regain your composure at the doors.

The exam goes well, despite the raging ball of emotions in your mind. All the studying last week had paid off, thankfully. You feel a bit better, and decide head to the Cafe to pick up your lunch. As you step out the door, you see a familiar figure running across the lawn in your peripheral vision, from all the way across the other side of the commons.

"Y/N!" Bruno calls.

Nope.

Turning on your heels, you go right back into the building, pretending you didn't hear. You aren't ready to see him yet, whatever he is. You duck around the corner, feeling ridiculous, but you have a concealed view here.

From your hidden viewpoint, you see him walk up to the door, holding out a hand towards the handle, and pause. He looks up at the building. His expression is unmistakably sad, big green eyes scanning the windows for movement. You hold your breath and he doesn't seem to see you. This moment seems to stretch forever.

Then, his hand drops and his entire body seems to slump. How does an entire body slump? You don't know, but that's exactly what just happened. He puts his hood on again and slips away back where he came, pulling out his phone. You breathe a sigh of relief and come out of hiding. You take a different route to the dining hall, and try to ignore the confusing mess of guilt, anger and fear in your chest.

The moment you sit down with your lunch, your phone blows up from Candace.

BUDDY I dont know what happened and I won't ask. But Bruno just texted me asking me to ask you to talk to him. -C

You feel an admittable pang of... jealousy? At the knowledge the Candace somehow has his number but you didn't. Seconds later, she texts again.

You know what? I will just ask him. This is the first time he's ever texted me other than for a group project last semester. -C

Before you have a moment to protest, she sends another one. How does she even type so fast?

Please tell me. If not now then after this is done. I already gave him your number. Thank me later. Also check your school email ig. Xx -C

Why the hell would she give him your number now? And not, you know, during the sweater incident?! You huff. Doesn't matter.

Its not like that, Candace. I promise.

:((( -C

You stare at your phone, as if daring Bruno to text you now. It doesn't happen. You decide to check your email.
Of course, he would try to reach you through there. Everyone's email was their name, and he was a nerd.

From: brunomadr@campus.edu
Subject: ):

Hey, y/n. I'm sorry I scared you. I know you saw me last night. You're a good friend and I want to explain myself. In person. We need to meet somewhere open but private.
Sorry again,

Bruno

From: brunomadr@campus.edu
Subject: re: ):

Please?

Bruno

You can't help but stare at the emails, thankful they don't have a read receipt. Wordlessly, you close the app and put your phone away.

Why alone? Could you even trust him? You finish your lunch and walk to your dorm, a touch of curiosity being added to your emotional soup.

Your phone buzzes in your pocket. You'll check it when you get home.