245: Epilogue

Epilogue

JieMi

The feelings.

They fluttered off on translucent, iridescent wings that caught the light of the morning sun. He lied; he knew how they disappeared. Their wings had caught in his throat, itchy for escape. And he allowed them to leave, one after another, to brush over the faces of his loved ones. Its dust created a wash of tears from their beautiful eyes.

Those thoughts were finally free, gone from his chest.

They spent the beginnings of winter amidst drifting golden leaves and flaming trees; soft wheat fields and turquoise waters of the sea; surrounded by honeycomb pillars of basaltic rock. The bountiful splendour of nature was given by a family of three that welcomed them into their home with open arms.

JieMi loved Sieon's grandparents. Traditional as they were with their strange idioms and beliefs, they welcomed the family with open arms. Unsurprisingly, they fawned over his soulmate, cooing and welcoming the youngest of their family unit. The first words out of their mouth were about children, and how precious their children would be.

Children.

The thought once brought a bitter taste to his tongue, and led to a constriction in his chest, but now he wondered about the babe in the womb of his ex. A child of the prison cells, born from an unwilling mother. He wondered if Ha-Eun would choose to raise the infant in prison or if she would give her away.

He vowed to look into it, to ensure that the child would live, healthily and happily. An act of kindness for the little human that was once his cage, but was now a by-product of many mistakes. An innocent life he now knew not to blame. A life that was not from his blood.

Rue continued to churn with the tears in his chest, melancholy burning in his heart. JieMi sighed, hands shove into his pocket as he stomped his feet in the cold.

He should be grateful, more grateful.

Grateful, for the little things in life like the soft fluff of snow compressed by his weight. For the wind in his hair that turned his cheeks pink. For the winter haven that lay before his eyes, white, ever-lasting peace. For his best friends, his soulmate, and his family.

Grateful for the people that actually mattered to him.

He scrunched his nose, and rolled his eyes. Poetic. He was becoming like Amber, matured beyond her years with an understanding of the world that he didn't have at her age. He kicked his feet out into the snow, trampling the soft dense sheets of fine ice. And then he continued stomping all over it because the addiction was real, and the texture of snow crunching beneath his shoes were—

The snap of the camera startled him, and he turned to see Sieon holding a camera. His older brother grinned, messy hair a tussle of wavy brown locks that were now so long that he had to pull it all back with a hairband. Sieon turned before he could speak, fixated by other beautiful things that pleased their eyes.

A haven of colours as opposed to the grey and white angled concrete they were used to.

He would however, willingly store away the memory of the familiar sea of purple bobbing light.

Hikaru was yelling, maybe even screaming judging from how loud his voice was despite their distance. Ezra seemed to have destroyed the frozen cabbages that they were instructed to pluck from the beds of snow.

Casper was squatting by a stove, and trying to light a fire with the gradually diminishing heap of dry twigs that Oliver had foraged with great difficulty. And MinJae was harvesting fermented sauce from glistening black and hazel pots with a wooden spoon. JieMi's lips quirked when a whole spoonful landed on his shoes with a loud squelch, and MinJae kicked it aside with a whistle on his lips.