Sixteen🔥

A beautiful Friday morning it was. The weekend was already looking promising, with the fresh air sliding freely around and early morning critters taking their own place in nature's music.

Matthew stood behind the railings of the upper terrace of his parents' house. Not that he didn't have his own apartment. He had a cozy one in a blocks of flats in the hubbub of Ivory Island.
He'd come to spend some time with them upon his mother's insistence.

He hadn't realized how much he'd missed his mother's recipes until he had tasted her seafood stew and garnished rice pudding again. He'd devoured the plate with relish and had even requested for more.

However, as he stared into space, his mind was not on food.
His mind was on that girl, Jay's sister.

He didn't know why, but he had a huge feeling the reason God had dragged him back to this hell hole of an island was because of her.

There was this feeling he had anytime he thought of her. Something he couldn't fully define. She just drew him... That's all he could say.
Could it be that he was simply mesmerized by her unique eye colour?
At first, he'd thought she was using contacts, but after close range glances at her, he realized that that was actually her real eye colour.

He hadn't gotten the chance to know much about her. In fact, the girl was recluse; she didn't speak unless spoken to.

Maybe he could cajole Deborah to help him unravel her mystery. It seemed Ella was free with Deborah.
Or would Jay mind if he began poking his nose and show interest in his sister?

What am I thinking?

He sighed deeply.
This was a day to Jay and Deb's wedding and here he was mulling over a girl he barely knew.

Jeremiah was so lucky to have found a girl like Deborah.
Matthew could actually feel the glow and joy radiating from his friend and it was rubbing off on him.

Could he also experience love of a woman? Not after...

"Matthew, how are you doing son?"

He spun around and saw that it was his father, Mr Pegamon. The man was still in his night clothes, with a mug of steaming hot coffee in his hand.

"Dad! Good morning," he replied with a grin and a bow.

"Morning, son. Had a rough night?" his father asked as he studied his face.

"I didn't sleep for long." Matthew rubbed his face. He must look really horrible for his father to have so easily detected his uneasy state.

"Anything on your mind? Care to share?"

"It's nothing. I've been thinking about why I am here. Why God insisted I come. I had plans to actually settle in the States, Dad."

"Well, I guess God heard my plea. I'm glad you're home, son," he said looking into his son's eyes.

Matthew's chest rumbled with a chuckle. "Dad, you do know I didn't come back here because of you and mom."

"Don't let your mother hear you. She'll be distraught. She's convinced it was her prayers that brought you back unhurt."

Matthew sighed. He knew what his parents were so worried about. He had almost died of depression after the last relationship he had been so committed to broke up.

"Dad. I love you both so much. Your care for me is something I would never take for granted. But..."

"Son, you don't have to say anything. I understand show you feel. That uncertainty of treading unto rough waters. I felt the same when I was about to give up fame and glory to gain Christ. All you have to do is just trust him and let him lead you."