A Little Ball of Sunshine

Start from the beginning

Then he hurried to the dining room for dinner, all of the foster children hurrying to wash their hands and get ready for food, too. Luffy washed his little hands, but forgot to dry them and dripped water all over. "Luffy, remember to dry your hands. No, don't use your hair. A towel would be best, but your clothes would be easier to use than hair."

"Shishishi!" Luffy giggled. "I hope I see grumpy grump again soon!"

"He said he'll be back tomorrow. You can see him then," Miss Olivia said, setting the table while the kids passed the silver ware around with the napkins. Miss Olivia served the kids so they didn't make a mess, and the noisy but cheery meal started. Luffy liked happy people! And he wondered all night what the cat's name was if it wasn't also Paul.

-x-

"This is your new room," papa said, Luffy sitting on his shoulders as he was shown around his new home. Karina, the kitty, was following them around curiously. She seemed nice so far! Luffy was so happy he was adopted and now had a family. But his name wasn't grumpy grump anymore, it's papa. He didn't know his actual name yet. Well, his name was papa. He was being silly.

Luffy got off his shoulders and bustled around the room, looking in the drawers and under the bed. "No monsters, right?"

"No monsters. Promise. There's a little blanket over there that Paul can use if he needs it," papa said kindly. Luffy beamed and nodded, and then put his clothes away. Shoving them into the drawer in wads. Karina came up to him, and Luffy hugged her tightly. She didn't complain, fine with this. She was squishy.

Luffy asked if she had slime in her. "Because she's squishy."

Katakuri shook his head. "She's just getting older and flabby," he answered, and sat down, so happy, it seemed, to have Luffy. Luffy was the only little kid there. It was a big house with lots of places to hide. All the doors were child proofed, so he wouldn't slam his tiny fingers. And the front door had a taller lock so he couldn't reach it.

He was allowed to explore the house, zooming into each room and down the hallway. Katakuri sat on the couch, and listened to him talk about everything he saw. He was quite the energetic four year old. The new father already knew how to deal with Luffy. He had his college degree in child care, having wanted to be a therapist for children.

Unlike his friend, who left hero school and actually became a hero, Katakuri's career was not what he went through high school for. Dragon had started his own family, but they were blood family with his wife. Katakuri chose to adopt, as he was single but really wanted a little one to raise. Maybe Luffy could be friends with Dragon's youngest at the time.

He knew their parenting styles were day and night, but he was still his friend. Probably his only friend. Luffy was still talking, and showing Paul around the house while holding Paul 2 to his chest. Katakuri just listened with a smile on. Keeping track of the kid while giving him space to explore.

He knew from the visits so far that Luffy liked to get his little hands in everything, and unintentionally cause messes. So he proofed everything that needed to be kept separate, and left certain drawers or bins out that had pillows and blankets, so pulling them out wouldn't cause a big mess and also wouldn't have the chance to hurt the four year old.

And Luffy did pull a blanket out halfway and then zoomed down the hall because he wanted to play with Karina. The now father smiled and didn't put the blanket away. He had a feeling Luffy would return to it suddenly, so he left it out. He came zooming into the living room again and asked for tea.

"Real tea?"

"You're silly! Shishishi, my tea just tastes like air. I want flavor tea, please," he said politely, holding Paul 2, before he stuffed it into his shirt so he didn't need to use both hands to pull her around. Paul 2 was a girl Giraffe while Paul was a boy. A purple boy with googly eyes and a tail that dragged very long, and so Luffy had Katakuri be careful to not step on it.