Chapter 25: Can't Stay Mad at You

Start from the beginning

"Yeah and I apologized for it. Any last words?" I ask not in the least bit inclined so fight for a sorry.

"I'm sorry, I should've handled my approach better." he finally says.

I stare at him and notice remorse behind the ego shielding his eyes.

"Okay," I say turning back on my phone.

Two minutes left.

"Friends?" he asks.

"Promise to stay out of my business?" I say watching the clock countdown.

"How much of your business?"

I turn to look at him with an 'are you kidding me' face. "Really?" I say.

"What? It's called a best friend for a reason," he says with a little shrug.

I push the corner of my lip down and pause the timer before it can ring out. "When did that happen?"

He rolls his eyes at me and adjusts in his seat. "Come on, like if not one of the few people you like in this world."

I point my finger at him. "Precisely that. I love anyone I'd call a best friend."

"Then you must love me," he says crossing his arms.

Ignoring his smug grin I mutter my next words. "Joseph the dreamer."

"Demi the best friend." he says popping the word 'best'.

"Whatever you want," I answer and we both watch as more people file in.

"Now as the best friend that I am you owe me some gist," he says inching closer.

I push his elbow off my armrest and reply to him. "I could say the same for you," I say, my right brow going upwards.

"You're right I do have something I want to tell you, but ladies first."

"Ehn ehn, you said you have gist spill," I demand, forgetting all about my anger five minutes ago.

Only he could make my fury dissipate like a fog that had never really been there.

"Nevermind that it's not gist like that," he says and I hiss loud enough for people at the back to hear.

"Sister Nimi is that you sounding like a snake in the House of the Lord," he says in a church mother voice.

I roll my eyes even though I'm smiling. "Leave me alone, after getting me hyped up for nothing."

"Oya sorry but it's not fair now I still know nothing about that guy," he says looking at the space in front of him.

"So that's why you're even asking for gist. Aproko is your middle name." I tease.

"That is your own I need the info."

"Why, if I may ask Brother Demilade," I say to annoy him.

"To make sure you're in good hands, or break a few bones if I have to," he says with a serious look in his eye that I hadn't expected.

I try to joke despite my struggle to find my next breath when he stares at me so intently. "Don't be ridiculous he's built like an ox."

My gaze seems to have the same effect on him because he breaks contact and jokes along with me. "Are you trying to say this is just garri and water," he says flexing his sizeable muscles.

They were nothing like Isren's but my eyes lingered a little longer than I would have liked.

"It's great seeing your faces back again this Sunday!" a voice boom through the auditorium.