𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟓. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚒𝚛𝚎𝚗

Start from the beginning

"I really don't like this idea." Merlin spoke, holding the target up.

Rylee crossed her arms in annoyance. "Does he really have to hold up the target? He's gonna get hurt."

Again, Arthur ignored his physician and manservant. With a small breath, the Prince released the arrow. It soared through the air, piercing the target. But the Prince groaned in annoyance as the arrow only struck the outside circle. Merlin jumped back in fright as the arrow nearly struck his hand.

Anger coursed through Arthur's veins as he threw down the bow in an almost childish anger. "This is pointless!"

Rylee burst out in a fit of laughter as the Prince began his childish temper tantrum. "Arthur, relax. It's not that bad."

Arthur shot a look at the sorceress. "Not that bad? Rylee, the tournament is tomorrow. I have to win."

And to be fair to the Prince, he was correct. The next day was the annual Tournament of Archers in Camelot. Arthur was expected to participate and to win in his mother's name.

For it was many years ago that Queen Ygraine had started the tournament for all the young archers like herself to compete and show off their skills.

Rylee sighed, walking towards the Prince. When she reached him, she placed a gentle hand upon his shoulder. "Hey," She cooed in a gentle voice, "I get it. I would be in the same position if it were me." When Arthur casted down a remorseful and thankful look to her, she smiled. "Take a break. Settle the anger." She leaned down, taking the bow into her hand. "This will be waiting for you when you get back."

The Prince took a moment to think before a begrudged sigh left his lips. He nodded, taking a moment to back away and face the woods, Rylee watching him take his distance.

"Wow." Merlin pipped up, fiddling with the hand that nearly got pierced by that arrow. "He never listens to you."

"Well," Rylee hummed, "I think he just knows this time I mean it. He really isn't as stupid as we make him out to be."

Merlin looked down at the girl beside him, a confused look widening his eyes. "Are we talking about the same Arthur?"

Rylee snapped her head up to look at Merlin, laughing. The audacity of that warlock would never cease to amaze her.

A ways away, Arthur glanced in their direction upon hearing Rylee's laugh, followed by Merlin's, as it echoed throughout the secluded training ground. He thought about it, leaning against a tree with one arm supporting his weight. Rylee had been right - as per usual. This competition was going to eat him alive if he let it. He was far from a perfect archer, nowhere near the same skill level as his mother had been.

The thought of the woman who loved him more than any other brought this unbridled anger to the young Prince. He had always wished to have met her. It was so cruel of fate to have taken her from him.

And as he looked back over to witness another lovingly playful moment between his manservant and his physician, Arthur let out a large sigh, running his hands over his face. All that stress and anger was rising, bubbling inside his heart.

And that was when a sweet, luring voice filled the air. It seemed as though he was the only one to hear it as his two companions took no notice. But there was something about it that Arthur could not ignore. The sweet song that filled the air moved his body against his mind and soon, the Prince found himself wandering into the woods before him.

Laughing at Merlin's jests towards the Prince, Rylee turned to check in on the topic of the conversation. Her face contorted in confusion as Arhur appeared in a daze, wandering into the woods. "Does he look okay to you?"