Chapter 25 - August 17th, 1921

3rd person POV

Laura is making her way around the summer market. It is held every year and has been set up in Garrison Lane. She is taking her time looking at each stall, most of them are heaving with beautiful fabrics, breads, cheeses, sweets for the young ones running around, and various other things. Last year, Polly dragged her to the market as Arthur had given her the day off – in his words, 'it's the perfect day to be a woman, go and have fun'. This year, however, she was on her own. She knew Polly and Esme would end up being around there somewhere, but Laura tended to enjoy her own company.

It's not long before Laura is at her favourite type of stall. Cakes and pastries. She takes a deep breath through her nose, soaking in all the lovely smells. "Ah, Miss Alexander. I had a feeling you'd be here today." The baker says upon noticing her. "Mr Adams, how could I not?" Laura teases. She had become quite good acquaintances with the baker, Rodger Adams. "What treats have you got for me today then?" she asks, her smile beaming. "Well, we made your special order, and we also have a selection of other things you might like." The baker says as he grabs a pie from the basket near his feet. "One cherry pie, m'lady." He presents jokingly. "Oh, Rodger. Thank you!" Laura says, accepting the pie and placing it in her own basket. Her father always used to get cherry pies, they were his favourite. She chooses a few smaller pies and cakes, allowing the baker's assistant to wrap them all up before she placed them with the pie. She takes £5 out of her purse to pay for them, but before she can a figure stands next to her, holding some money out.

She goes to protest, but she sees the look of fear on Roger's face and immediately knows who it is. "Tommy, I thought you hated the summer fair?" she says as she turns to him, raising her left eyebrow suggestively. "I know, but I was bored so I thought I'd join you. It's not a problem is it?" he says as he follows the woman he loves looking through the other stalls. "Why would it be a problem? I get to spend time with you." Laura beams.

Tommy takes the basket from her grasp and holds it in his right hand. He offers his left arm for her to latch onto so they can look around together, not caring about the looks they are receiving from nosey onlookers. They soon arrive at a beautiful hand-crafted ornaments stall. It's filled with gorgeous wooden figurines and clocks. Tommy watches as Laura's eyes light up, causing his lips to curl into a smile. She takes a small clock into her hands, running her fingers over every crevasse of the wood.

Laura's eyes start to sadden as she remembers the clock her father used to have when she was a little girl. It was very similar to the one she's holding. He always used to say it was carved from an enchanted tree, like in her story books, and that the magic kept all her bad dreams away. Looking back, she now knows it was nonsense, but that doesn't mean it was worthless. It was moments like this where she wished she could talk to her father.

She quickly snaps out of it and looks to the stall owner, a small elderly woman who clearly had a hard time finding money. "How much for this clock, please?" she asks kindly, much to Tommy's admiration. "£3, please. And I'll throw in this beautifully crafted owl, on the house." The woman said. "Oh, thank you that's so kind." Laura replies as she passes her the money and accepts the small gift. The woman wrapped up Laura's items and handed them over. Tommy held the basket for her to place them with everything else before they continued up the lane.

They just about finish the first side of the market when Laura notices Polly about to join in on the fun. "Polly! I knew you'd be here." Laura beams as she releases Tommy's arm and runs to hug the older woman. "Wow, you got Tommy to come? How on earth did you do that? I've been trying for years and years." Polly says as she releases the girl, noticing her nephew catching up to them. "I guess he just missed me too much" Laura replies in a joking tone, causing Polly to laugh. "Do you want some company for the rest of the market?" Laura asks. "I would love some." Polly replies, smiling at the young couple.

The three of them continue to look around, stopping every now and then to purchase something. The final stall at the market was piled high with sweets and chocolate. "Oh, I just remembered I promised Finn I'd pick him a treat from one of the sugar filled stalls." Laura says innocently, almost like asking Polly permission on Finn's behalf. Rolling her eyes, Polly laughs slightly. "Go on then, rascal that boy is." She replies, knowing why Finn asked Laura to buy them. It was obvious that Polly had a little soft spot for the girl, especially after everything she has done for the family.

She excitedly steps towards the stall, her mouth-watering at the amount of choice. She decided on a bag of humbugs, a bar of fruit and nut and a surprise bag of black jacks for Tommy. Once she has paid, she hurriedly places everything in the basket. "Do you want me to have that back, Tom?" Laura asks softly, knowing it must be quite heavy now. "Of course not. Come on, let's have a drink." Tom replies, leading the ladies to the Garrison.