Chapter 24 - August 1st, 1921

Tommy's POV

I am currently in Laura's flat trying to make it perfect for when she returns home later. Alfie called her a few days ago and said she was needed in London. After a long day of bickering, she told me I was staying up here whether I liked it or not. We've been bickering a lot lately, maybe she's just stressed with everything going on. We haven't been speaking as much as I'd like because it always ends in an argument.

I check the time to read that it's 3:30pm. Just 1 more hour and she will be home. Polly should be here soon with an apple pie from the bakery, Laura's favourite. I start to plump the pillows on the couch, for what feels like the thousandth time today, when there is a knock on the door. "It's open, Pol." I yell through the hall. "Where should I put this pie, Tom?" my aunt speaks to me, suddenly standing in the doorway to the lounge with Finn by her side. "I'll bring you through." I say before walking through the hallway and revealing the kitchen.

We all sit at the table in silence for a while. "Tom, can you make us some tea?" my little brother asks me. "Why don't I do that? Tommy's too excited for Laura's return." Polly says, cutting me off from what I was going to say. Thank fuck for that. I don't fucking make tea.

She places a cup and saucer in front of me, even though she knows I won't drink it. It's now 4:45pm. Where the hell is she? I'm just sat staring at that fucking teacup, knowing the contents are now cold. I don't know how much longer I can wai-

My thoughts are muted by the sound of the front door opening. "Tommy?" I hear Laura's voice speak through the hall. I immediately stand and rush to pull her into my arms. "I've fucking missed you." I whisper in her ear, knowing Polly and Finn are standing behind me. "I've missed you too, handsome." She smiles up at me before pecking my lips. "Hey! That's disgusting." Finn says, causing Laura to laugh. It's like music to my ears. Since when did I become such a needy bastard? I watch as Laura hugs my brother and Aunt, smiling brightly. "We brought you a pie!" Finn beams up at her. "Oh, I thought I could smell something delicious." Laura replies, following him into the kitchen.

Polly cuts us all a slice of the pie and we all sit down at the kitchen table, Finn sitting on Laura's lap. "So, how was London? Did everything get sorted?" I ask her impatiently. "It's sorted for now." She sighs in reply, not wanting to reveal anything else in front of my family. I suddenly notice how long it's taking Laura to eat her pie. Usually she inhales it she's that excited. But today, she's only taking small bites and taking a really long time to swallow it. I wonder what's going on with her.

Laura's POV

Jesus Christ I feel sick. I'm trying so hard to eat this apple pie normally but fuck me my body is fighting back. I have managed to keep half of the slice down so far. Just half of it left. As I lift the fork to my mouth once again, I immediately know it's not going to stay down. I quickly push Finn off my lap and run to the bathroom, not caring about the fork landing on the floor. Luckily I got to the toilet in time, otherwise I would have felt worse having to clean it all up.

As I'm retching my guts up, I hear a knock on the door. I can't even catch my breath, let alone talk. "Laura? Are you alright, love?" I hear Polly's voice speak calmly through the door. I continue to vomit, knowing that I will probably choke if I try and reply. "I'm going to come in, ok? It's just me, not the boys." She says as I hear the door open and close. "Oh, sweetheart. What's brought this on?" she asks as she sits on the side of the bathtub. "I don't know" I quickly say before retching again. I know what she's thinking, but there's no way I'm pregnant. My period started yesterday, same as it has done every month since me and Tommy were first together.

After another few minutes of emptying the contents of my stomach, I manage to catch my breath. I wipe my face with the damp cloth that Polly passes to me and rest my back on the bathtub, next to her feet. She quickly joins me on the floor and looks at me with slightly sad eyes. She opens her mouth to speak but I cut her off before she can. "I'm not pregnant." I blurt out, shocking her slightly. "How did you know I was thinking that?" she replies, shock eminent in her voice. "I know how it looks." I say with a slight laugh. "I think it's just stress, Pol. This happened a few times whilst I was away. I'm fine." I say to her as I stand up.

I lean over the sink and rinse my mouth out with water. "Well, as long as you're ok, dear. Come on, let's get you to bed." She says, guiding me out the bathroom. Normally I would refuse, but I'm so tired I can't even think straight. She lays me down and tucks me in like I do with Finn, causing me to chuckle slightly. "I'll send Thomas in and take Finn home. Hopefully you'll feel well enough to have a drink down the Garrison later. Rest well, love." She says to me before leaving the room.

After staring at the ceiling for about 5 minutes, I hear the front door open and close. Tommy then makes his way into the room and lays next to me. "Are you alright?" he asks quietly. "Yeah. now that you're here, yeah." I reply, not really having much energy to lie. "Do you want some company?" he asks, clearly hoping I would say yes. "Yes please" I whimper, tears starting to prickle my eyes. I hate being sick. He carefully places his arm round me and pulls me closer, so my head is resting on his chest. Nothing else is said between us. He just holds me tight as I fall to sleep in his embrace. I've missed this so much.