Chapter 5.

I hardly slept that night, a mix of alcohol and adrenaline was rushing through me causing me to stir all night. JJ, Pope and Kie headed home after the kegger so it was just John B and I at the Chateau this morning. The place was a mess so just as I started cleaning up a little bit and throwing away some empty beer bottles I heard a knock on the door. None of the pogues would knock or be awake at 8am so I have no idea who this would be, but it can't be good.

"Good morning Savannah" Sheriff Petterkin said as I answered the door.

"Good morning Sheriff" I said politely, unsure why she was here.

"Is John B around this morning, I would like to talk to the both of you" She asked in a very serious tone

"Just in his room, I can go wake him up" I said going to turn around

"That's okay, I can do it" She said walking to his room

I just wanted to call JJ and tell him Sheriff Peterkin was at our house but because of the hurricane and the towers being down, I couldn't hear his voice to calm me down.

John B saw me as he was coming out of his room and gave me a look of relief when he knew I was okay and then a look of confusion as to why the Sheriff was here.

"Sorry to show up like this but DCS called. They wanted me to check on you, see how you are doing. So how are you doing, besides the black eyes" She looked at the both of us with our matching black eyes.

"We are great" I said with a big fake smile

"Yeah, fantastic. Thanks for coming by" John B said, trying to get her to leave.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, John B, but I heard a few things that worried me. Let me see if I can remember. Oh yeah, your uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months" She said, looking at us to confirm her statement.

"Thats false" John B said

"I know it's true. I called the school too, they said you used to be a good student, but now you are failing all of your classes" She said while picking up the end of one of JJ's blunts and smelling it, I wish I cleaned that up before the beer bottles now.

"No, no I am failing one, it's history, the guys a dick" John B said

"I am passing all of mine" I said raising my hand, John B just looked at me and I sank into my chair.

"I heard there were two fights on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved in one" Sheriff said and I swallowed the lump in my throat, dammit JJ.

"Did we get into a dust up, yeah but a gun?" John B said

"That's okay, I know who it was and I'll get to him" She said looking straight at John B

"There was no gun Sheriff, the Kooks just made that up to make us look bad" I said trying to convince her JJ didn't do anything, she raised her eyebrows at me knowing I was covering for him.

"Look, all I am worried about right now is making sure you two are in a safe home" She said seriously

"Yeah, super safe" I said back because the truth is, we are. We are safest with each other.

"Super sound, sturdy" John B said, knocking on the table. "And Uncle T is coming so" John B continued

"If he is coming, then I think you should be allowed to stay, but if I stick my neck out for you two then you have to help me. Tit for tat" She said making John B and I look at each other

"What does tat mean exactly?" I asked the Sheriff

"Let me see, how can you help me? Oh I know, there was a body found in the marsh yesterday. Were you in the marsh yesterday?" She asked John B