Olivia

The last couple of months had been the hardest of my life, but also the most liberating.

I moved away from my mother and found a cozy little apartment that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Also, I was going to start at Yale in the fall, with Christina as my roommate.

It was confusing for everyone at first, but it got easier. I had to explain and omit major details, with good cause. There were things I wasn't allowed to say and things I wanted to keep to myself.

I wasn't supposed to tell anyone what I had seen on that tablet because it was sensitive evidence that was going to be used in court. I was only supposed to say that I'd been taken against my own will by the leader of an organized crime family because they were captivated by me. I'd only come out alive because the FBI had received an anonymous tip giving away my location, as well as my captor's.

Although it wasn't completely false, it wasn't as simple as it sounded.

"C'mon, Olly! You know how I hate the evening traffic."

I jolted out of my thoughts and hurriedly brushed back the last strands of hair into a ponytail.

"Alright, I'm coming!" I hopped out of my room as I squeezed on my converse shoe.

Christina was already opening the refrigerator when I found her in my kitchen. "You know what really warms a house? Some food."

I chuckled, envious of her colossal appetite despite her slender figure.

"I've been ordering takeout ever since I moved in last week, but I plan on going to the super market when I get back. I'm still new to this living-on-my-own thing, you know?"

"Which I commend you on of course," she said, curtsying with a flare of her flowy mini-dress.

"Thank you," I said with a giggle.

Her grin came down to a gentle smile. "No but seriously, I'm really proud of you. It comes to show that what you went through has really made you grow. You're one hell of a strong girl if you ask me."

A shock of tears burned the back of my eyes as I slipped my hands into the back pockets of my jeans. "That actually means a lot. But it's still hard. I don't think I'll have the strength to testify tomorrow, Christina. How are you not even mad at me right now?"

She immediately came to me. "Hey, you're doing the right thing, I promise you. Of course I'd prefer that my cousin didn't go to jail, but I also wish she wasn't a dangerous criminal. And I also wish she hadn't made us believe you'd died in that fire. Trust me, you're saving lives by testifying."

"Okay." I shook the tears away. "Okay. You're absolutely right."

"Don't you worry about a thing. Now come on. I might get a ticket, what with my shitty parking."

I laughed. "Some things never change I guess."

Half an hour later, we were a few minutes from the Men's Central Jail. I could see the cop car in the rear view mirror, following closely behind us.

"I don't know about you, but I could get used to these police escorts," Christina said as she veered downtown.

"Not too used hopefully, after tomorrow, it'll probably come to an end.'

She gave me a quick glance. "Do you really think you're in danger as a witness?"

The sudden image of Shayne blowing someone's head off assaulted my mind. "I-I don't know."

When the car finally came to a stop, I realized my mind had once again traveled far away from the present.

"You plan on seeing your dad all the way from here?" Christina said, her voice sounding amused but tinged with concern.