Chapter Nineteen: Spilled Wine

Começar do início

Matteo and Meo went stark pale. Matteo rose from the bed first, his head bowed in shame.

"I'm so sorry, Lucius," he said, and I could tell he was tearing up by the crack in his voice. "It won't ever happen again."

"Don't apologize to me," Lucius said. "Go apologize to my girlfriend, and then wash up for dinner."

"Scusami," the boys said to me. Both boys looked shameful and sad. I didn't know what to say, so I just nodded at them.

Lucius meandered out of the room and shut the door behind him. He ran an aggravated hand through his hair.

"I'm heading home. I'll tell your family I threw up or something."

Lucius just looked at me. "You're serious right now?"

"Of course, I'm serious. I'm going home."

He pulled me to the side of the hallway. "You're still fucking mad at me?"

"I'm not mad at you. I'm just letting you know I'm going home."

Lucius leaned his head against the wall in a way that drew attention to his throat and his Adam's Apple. "You misinterpreted what I said, but it makes sense because women literally don't care about logic."

I barked out a laugh. "You don't know a thing about women."

"Yeah, I don't know a thing about women," he said, smirking down at me like the Devil himself. "That's why I had to block three of them this morning because they wouldn't stop begging me to stuff them like a Thanksgiving turkey."

I felt a twist of something in my chest, but I buried it fast. "You are so disgusting it's insane," I hissed. "Speaking of insane, I can't wait to get out of this asylum––"

"Limoncello liquor?"

I froze. Carmine was standing behind us by the grand staircase with a bottle in her hand. I had no idea how much she'd heard, but Lucius didn't seem to care.

"No, thank you." I tried to walk around her.

She stepped in my path again. "What's the matter, Rina? Trouble in paradise?"

"She has a stomachache," Lucius answered from behind me, the warmth of his hand unwelcomed on my waist. I wanted to chop his whole arm off and feed it through a mini food processor.

A smirk lifted Carmine's mouth like she'd just received the hottest gossip news. "A stomachache? Don't tell me you got the slut knocked up, Lucius?"

My heart pounded in my vision. I was about to go off on her, but he beat me to it.

"Projecting is an ugly look on you, Carmine," Lucius snarled at his sister. "You know Korinna has more heart in her than you'll ever have."

Oh boy, did that wipe the smirk right off Carmine's face.

"Make yourself useful and go check on Matteo and Meo," Lucius added, and then he took my hand and ushered me forward. My stomach did that weird fluttering sensation. Oh, shit.

"You two are sketchy as hell," Carmine called out after us.

"You're welcome," Lucius muttered once we reached the grand staircase. He let go of my hand but steered me by the back to an area of the house I didn't know yet.