"But... what about the rent? I can't make the bills on my own, Topaz. Besides, isn't it a little fast to be moving in with the guy?" Dana asked incredulously. "Even I don't work that fast!"

"He loves me, Dana, and I'm so close to..." Topaz stopped again, closing her eyes and rubbing her forehead. She couldn't tell Dana the truth about Raul, but she needed some reason for her actions. If it weren't valid, she'd find her whole family on her doorstep for an intervention. Opening her eyes, she saw Dana watching her. With a slight smile, she said, "I don't want to be apart from him either. You'll just have to trust that I know what is best for me."

Dana huffed as she stood and approached Topaz. "Fine, but only because you've been here for me and never snitched when things got bad. Just remember, I'm here if you need me, and let me know when I'll need to be hunting a new roomie."

Topaz hugged Dana. "Thanks, I owe you one."

"Yes, you do, sister," Dana muttered as Topaz left the room to pack her bag.

#

Topaz grunted as she crawled out of her car, putting weight on the knee she'd injured because of her clumsiness. Slowly limping her way to the house, she wondered if she should knock or just walk in. The decision was taken from her as the door opened to reveal Dianne's smiling face.

"You're here. Carlito said he thought he'd heard a car," Dianne mentioned as she stepped back into the house.

Topaz slowly entered as she asked, "Yeah, I'm here. Where is Raul?"

"Oh, he's in his room changing out of his suit. He only got here a few minutes ago," Dianne said closing the door. Suddenly, her eyes widened and she exclaimed, "Topaz! What happened to your face?"

Topaz cringed at the younger girl's screech.

Raul came rushing in from the hallway, shirtless, at the screech.

Topaz lost all the air to her lungs at the sight of Raul's chest. He'd been right when he'd said maturity made all the difference in his chest and Carlito's. While Carlito's chest was nice enough, Raul's was awe-inspiring and had her thinking very naughty thoughts.

A growl brought Topaz from her daydreams of Raul's chest and what she'd like to do to it, her eyes moving up to meet his. They were glowing, his lips curled back in a snarl. As he stalked forward, he asked in a growly voice, "Yes, Topaz, tell us what happened to your face."

Topaz whimpered, moving backward slowly at the anger on his face. What did I do to make him so angry?

"Papa!" Carlito yelled.

At his yell, Raul's head swung around.

"You're scaring her, Papa. You need to calm down," Carlito said, his voice softer now.

Although Topaz knew it wasn't the right moment, she couldn't help but whisper, "Why do you call him Papa?"

Raul's head swung back her way and he once more began to advance toward her. This time there was a calmer look on his face, though his eyes still glowed.

"Because his wolf is out. When I was little, I called him Papa wolf because that is what Mama always called him. Later though, when I became a teenager, most of my friends called their Papa's, Dad. I didn't want to be different, so I started calling him Dad. It stuck, except for when Papa wolf is out," Carlito explained.

Raul was now right in front of her, his hand cupping her chin and tilting her face upward toward the light. His voice still gruff, but calmer, he repeated, "I will ask once more, mate, what happened to your face?"