There was no emperor who truly had no ambition.

Since the Battle of Jianye ended, and they started the north conquering, Hongguang Emperor’s heart had been burning up. He felt that this was a sacred mission that the heavens were giving him – return me my Great Ming land.

If there was no hope then so be it.

However, when he saw the chance of restoring the glory of the country, his heart was not as calm anymore. Every victory on the frontlines could make the Hongguang emperor really emotional, as it meant that they were getting closer and closer to the target.

“Your highness, the situation is great, and the Qing army is being forced back. The Alliance Army is invincible wherever they go. They are going to arrive under Yanjing City soon,” said the reporting eunuch.

Yanjing was the land that the Hongguang Emperor dreamt on trampling.

There were the foundations left by the ancestors, far more prosperous than Jianye with a really majestic palace.

The Hongguang emperor was drowning in the bliss.

But the news spreading out during these past few days made the Hongguang Emperor really uneasy and also really unhappy, “How did this happen? How did the north conquering mission become an internal battle?”

Hongguang Emperor could not understand.

He felt hate.

He hated Zhang Xianzhong’s greed, and he hated the Great Shun army for stepping out of hand.

“Traitors are still traitors in the end; a leopard cannot change its spot.” The Hongguang Emperor realized that they could not let this continue. The South Ming army could not allow these two groups of people to pick up easy pickings whilst the South Ming army was fighting on the frontlines.

Hence, the Hongguang emperor sent a secret order to the South Ming general behind Ouyang Shuo’s back, “For the current north conquering, encircling the city is the top priority and sieging is second. Try to occupy land in the north and not let the traitors take advantage of us. Remember it, remember this.”

It was this secret order that riled up the South Ming army and added a lot of problems for Li Jing and Guo Ziyi. The South Ming army generals had the emperor supporting them, so they spoke with gusto.

The human heart was hard to predict.

Apart from sending the order to the frontlines, the Hongguang emperor was slowly becoming more and more active in the Imperial Court, using the officials close to him to plan the Northern Territory matters.

In the end, Hongguang Emperor was still wary of Ouyang Shuo, this Prince Regent, but he did not make it too obvious.

No matter what, the Imperial Court was slowly changing. Furthermore, sending officials to reclaim lost land was a normal matter and helped to calm down local problems.

Ouyang Shuo had no reason to interfere.

In truth, Ouyang Shuo did not interfere and was just a bystander from start to finish.

If it were him of three years ago, when he faced such a tough problem, he might show some emotion. Now, Ouyang Shuo had trained up, becoming stone hearted. He was unmoved like a mountain.