Pinch and Greengrass

The past few months have been miserable. Students always give me dirty looks and stare when walking through the halls. I've been staying close to David and Lucia for protection, but they're getting the same looks as me.

    Everyone knows that I dated Adrian. It is very embarrassing now. I tell everyone that we've broken up, and I even tell myself this, but I haven't told him yet, exactly. I'm scared of what he might do. I don't want him to hurt me or anyone else ever again. Him going into hiding has been scary, but also a bit of a relief knowing he is far away from everyone.

    In that letter Daniel showed me back in January, Adrian said that he is hiding in a cave below the castle. Does that mean the basement? The whole basement of Lincoln is tunnels and caves, but that hiding spot wouldn't be very good.

    "Do you know of any caves below the castle?" I ask David and Lucia while walking to our morning Charms class.

    "For the one hundredth time, no!" Lucia raises her voice.

    "Audrey," David says compassionately, "stop worrying about this."

    "How?" I ask, "he could come back at any moment."

    "And will be sent straight to Azkaban," David finishes my sentence.

    "Don't let this get in the way of your studies," Lucia says.

    Just before we enter our classroom, we're stopped by a familiar voice.

    "Mitchell!"

    The three of us turn around to see Merula Pinch walking towards us in her long black robes and orange tie.

    "How's your boyfriend, Mitchell?" Emphasizing on my name.

    "I wouldn't know," I say angrily.

    "He deserves better anyway," she laughs, "no one deserves to be stuck with a coward like you." 

    "You foul little git!" David yells.

    "Who are you and what have you done with David King?" Pinch says sarcastically.

    "You better not mess with us or I'll..." Lucia's voice fades, not knowing what to say.

    "You'll use a forbidden curse on me?" Pinch finishes, "I'm sure Azkaban has a cell with your name on it already."

    She gets inches away from Lucia's face before shoving her and walking away.

    "Are you alright?" I ask while pulling Lucia in for a hug.

    "Quite alright," she answers while pulling away and fixing her robes, "that girl has no business being here."

    "Being where?" David asks.

    "At Lincoln," Lucia answers. "She's failed nearly all her classes. She's only here cause daddy is paying extra," she continues with attitude.

    "Let's not worry about her," David says.

    "Yeah," I add, "Charms is about to start."

-

    The day passed faster than usual and I'm now sitting in the dining hall with Anna, Ezmerelda, David and Lucia for dinner. Anna and Ezmerelda have decided to join us at meals now to keep an eye on us. We're probably Adrian's main target.

    "D'you all have a good day?" Ezmerelda asks the group.

    "Mine was brilliant," Anna answers, "I got another A in Potions."

    "That's great!" Ezmerelda says, "what about you Audrey?"

    "My day was alright," I answer quietly.

    "That stupid Merula Pinch girl came after us again," Lucia says bitterly.

    "That girl has no business being here," Anna says.

    "That's what I said!" Lucia replies.

    We stay silent for a moment before Daniel Greengrass comes running up to our table.

    "Audrey," he says once he arrives, standing across from me behind Anna and Ezmerelda. "Adrian wants to speak with you."   

    I gulp at the thought of seeing him again. What could he possibly want to say to me?

    "Im coming too," Lucia says while getting up.

    "No," Daniel says sternly, "he only wants Audrey."

    "It's okay," I say reassuringly while standing up and putting my hand on Lucia's shoulder.

    Lucia sits back down and pouts.

    "Be careful," she says, looking up at me.

    "If you need anything, scream," David says.

    I lightly chuckle at his words, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

    I follow Daniel through the poorly lit corridors of the castle and into the boys common room. Their common room is much messier than the girls. There are clothes and books laying all across the floor and furniture. There is writing and drawings on the walls, one of them reads, Mitchell + Stutter 1973. I smile lightly at the sight of my fathers handwriting on the wall, but remember that 1973 was 26 years ago. These boys really need to clean up.

    Daniel sits on the red couch facing the fireplace and I sit beside him. He doesn't say anything, instead he just stares deeply into the orange fire.

    I follow his eye line to find a face appearing in the hot flames.

    "Hello Audrey," an eery voice says.

    "Adrian?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Published January 3rd, 2022