Christmas Nightmare

Adrian's present to me is the last one to be opened this Christmas morning. I've already received clothing, books and a quill from everyone else. The boys loved their quidditch gear, and Lucia was crying over her earrings for what felt like hours.

    The gift I'm opening is a rather small cube shape. Once the red wrapping is off, I see a white soft box. Inside, is the diamond butterfly necklace I fell in love with at the jewelry store.

    "Adrian!" I squeal.

    I give him a tight hug and tears start rolling out of my eyes.

    "I take that you like it?" He smirks.

    "Of course I do!"

    I take it out of the box and undo the chain to put it on. I hand the necklace to Adrian and lift my hair from my neck for him to put it on me.

    "Would you mind?" I kindly ask.

    He nods his head and puts the beautiful necklace on me.

-

    Some time has passed since this morning. Everyone is having a great time trying out their new gifts. My friend's parents have sent them their presents by owl, and they have got lots of gifts.

    I pull my mother aside into the study to ask her about Professor Worsteshire. It's been bothering me that she knows my parents — especially my father — more than I do.

    "Mum?" I ask, "do you know an Evangeline Worsteshire?"

    My mother gulps at the mention of that name, "yes, dear. What about her?"

    "She said you were reading partners, and that she knew dad."

    "Yes," my mother sighs, "the three of us were friends in school."

    My mother sat on the green sofa, seeming uncomfortable to talk about her. I sat next to her and rested my hand on her knee.

    "She was jealous of your father and I's relationship," mother continues, "but she didn't act on it until third year."

    "What did she do?" I ask out of curiosity.

    "She bullied me," my mother tears up, "she cursed me."

    "What curse?"

    "She calls it, 'potion of unsuccess.'"

    "That's not a real thing," I say, more like a question.

    "Her and her friend, Horace Pinch, invented it themselves."

    Pinch. I've heard that name before.

    "That's why," my mother sighs, "I am bad at magic, and wasn't able to get a high paying job."

    "That little"

    "Watch your language," my mother cuts me off. "She was hoping Rodger, your father, would leave me under that curse."

    "He didn't though," I comment.

    "Our love was true, which can never be broken through magic."

    I smile and give her a hug. I can't believe she put her through all that. I hate Professor Worsteshire.

-

    "Have you seen mum?" Anna asks me.

    It's getting late and we want to start dinner soon. We're all sitting in the living room talking, except for my mother.

    "No," I answer, "she went to the loo a while ago. Perhaps she's still there?"

    "That was thirty minutes ago," Lucia adds.

    "Maybe she's not feeling well?"

    Anna nods her head and goes around the corner to where the bathroom is. I hear her knock on the door, but there's no answer. The door creaks open, then I hear footsteps running back towards the living room.

    Anna stands in the doorway, frozen. She's breathing heavily and her eyes are tearing up. I run towards her, worried that something is wrong with our mom.

    "What?" I ask her worriedly, "what's wrong?"

    "It's mum," she says through deep breaths, "she's gone."

    "Gone?" I ask.

    Everyone starts to gather around us, curious as to what's going on.

    "What do you mean?" I continue.

    "She's," Anna begins to sob, "she's dead."

    My heart begins to skip beats. A sharp pain travels across my body, like a bolt of lighting just struck. My mother. My dear, dear mother. She has suffered so much in life, and when she finally gets somewhere great, it was taken away. Worsteshire. She must be behind this. I will not rest until I get justice for my mother.

    I go into the bathroom and kneel down next to my mother's frail and pale lifeless body. I move her lovely blonde hair out of her face and I scream in anger.

    "I will get justice for my mother!" I shout.

    Anna grabs me before I smash the mirror above the sink.

    "Audrey!" She shouts, "calm down!"

    "Someone killed our mother! Don't you want to catch them? Get revenge? Seek justice for her?" I shout through sobs.

    "Of course!" She lets me go, "but this could have been natural causes as well."

    Adrian comes into the room and holds me tight.

    "I'm so sorry Audrey," he whispers, "she was a lovely lady."

    I say nothing. I just sob into his shoulder. My mother has been nothing but great to everyone. She had one of the purest souls I have ever known.

    Ezmerelda hugs Anna tight, I can hear them both sobbing from behind me. I then feel a few more arms wrap around Adrian and I, only to realize it's David and Lucia, trying to comfort me.

    My mother's death will be solved, and if someone is behind this, I will not let them rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Published December 26th, 2021