Astronomy

I go to my evening astronomy class with Lucia after dinner. As we enter the room, I can see many photos of constellations and stars on the walls. Straight ahead, I see the lady with the big pink dress that was holding the front doors open yesterday. I take a seat at the front of the class next to Lucia.

"Good evening, children!" The professor says cheerfully, "I am Professor Worsteshire, deputy headmistress and astronomy professor."

After introducing herself and the course, she asks for the students to introduce themselves and one thing we like to do. The closest person to her is Lucia, so she points to her and tells her to start.

"Ok then," Lucia says as she stands up, "I am Lucia Cumberback and I like to hangout with friends."

"Well done, Cumberback," Worsteshire says while clapping her hands together, "you."

She turns her head towards me and smiles. Shoot. I hate public speaking.

I stand up and say, "I'm Audrey Mitchell," I pause to think.

There are many things I like to do. I like seeing my friends, talking with Anna, grooming Isabelle, reading. Maybe studying? I don't know if I necessarily like it or not, but it is essential for success. My mother didn't study much in school, she says that it didn't matter because she couldn't do magic anyway. I don't know, maybe if she tried more she could have been more successful.

"I like to read," I say after a moment.

"What's your favourite book?" Worsteshire asks.

Shut up. I don't want to talk anymore. Nobody here cares about my favourite book. I know she doesn't even care, she just wants to hold a conversation.

"The Book Thief by Markus Zusak"

"Your mother and I read that one together in school."

"Pardon me?" I ask.

She knows my mother? Could she know my father too?

"Your mother and I were reading partners in school," Worsteshire answers, "Blaise Stutter am I right?"

"Yes," I say after a pause, "It's Blaise Mitchell now."

I sit back down at my desk, I do not want to be presenting this conversation to the class.

"Ah yes," Worsteshire says in realization, "she did end up with Rodger."

She did know my father.

"How are they?" She asks.

I do not want to tell her my father died. The whole class is listening to this conversation, but I also don't want to remain silent.

"They're fine," I answer quietly, "can we move on to someone else now?"

I have a bit of attitude in my tone. She didn't question Lucia about her parents, they went here too. As someone else is introducing themselves, Lucia turns to me with a confused expression

"You lied to her," she whispers.

"I wasn't going to tell the class my father died."

She slowly nods her head and turns to the student introducing themselves. These strangers don't need to know about my sad past.

After going around the class, Worsteshire invites us to follow her to the astronomy tower. It's right across the hall from this class. Everyone gets up and walks across the hall and up the steep and windy stairs to the tower. We all make a circle around the edge of tower and Worsteshire stands in the middle to explain what we will be doing here. I can't focus on her, I am busy admiring the stars. I've always had a bit of interest in astronomy. My mother says that my father is among the stars right now, looking down on us. She told me that many stars have names, and many stars make up constellations or images in the sky. I see the big dipper, one of the easiest to spot. Next to it is a big bright star, I know that's my father. Every time Anna or I spot a bright star, we make a wish, hoping our father will help us achieve it. I close my eyes to think. There are so many things I could wish for right now. Perhaps good grades this term, or for everyone to stay safe this year. Maybe for my mother to get a promotion and not need to work as much. I could wish for Adrian to like me, or for me to gather the courage to tell him I like him. This is ridiculous. I've hardly known him for two days, he can't like me, and I shouldn't like him. Maybe it's love? My mother says that her and father were in love since first year, but I can't. We can't. I can't imagine him being very loyal, and that dark book he has it putting me off. I know he said he wouldn't use it anymore, but I don't know if I believe him. We all saw what happens when someone gets a hold of dark magic last year during the war. You become obsessed and can't stop using it. You gain so much power that you loose yourself. I really hope Adrian takes our advice, I may need to dispose of it myself to be sure. For now, I will put my trust in him, he must get rid of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Published December 21st, 2021