Trying Something New [Ruby X Sapphire]

Start from the beginning

They warped to a strange island, inhabited only by a large cave that was slightly set into the ground. There was a slippery slope at the mouth of the cave leading down into foreboding darkness. The sand on the island was gritty and rough. However, it was sprinkling on the island, which was sweet relief compared to the scorching heat that had taken over Beach City.
Steven held his backpack over his head to keep himself dry. Amethyst scooted closer to the tunnel and peered inside warily. "Are you sure this is safe?" Steven asked, looking around.
Pearl hesitated. But before she could reply, Garnet picked everyone up and jumped down into the darkness. Everyone let out a surprised cry as Garnet landed on the slippery, smooth surface of the downward slope and slid down easily. There was a faint blue glow approaching them in the pitch black.
Finally they landed on solid ground. Garnet released the others and put her hands on her hips as she surveyed their surroundings. They were in a beautiful cavern with pale blue and lavender crystals that emitted a faint light growing in the walls and on the ceiling and floor. The stalactites hanging high above dripped water onto their heads and the stalagmites reflected the glow of the crystals around them. It was slippery in the cave though, and there were even some puddles that had formed.
Steven gasped and knelt beside one of the puddles. He splashed his hand in the water and grinned. He turned to look over his shoulder at Pearl, when suddenly something emerged from the water in the puddle. It sprung at Steven and Garnet snatched him up in the blink of an eye, kicking the thing away as she did so. The creature shattered against a stalagmite into a thousand little crystalline shards.
"T-Thanks, Garnet," Steven mumbled. Garnet set him down and walked over to the remains of the creature. She knelt beside the shattered crystal and picked up on of the shards carefully. Pearl rushed over, nearly slipping in her haste, and examined the shards as well.
"So much for a peaceful vacation," Amethyst said with a grin. "Maybe we'll get to fight stuff after all."
"Perhaps we should turn back?" Pearl suggested as she straightened. "It may not be safe for Steven."
"Aw, come on!" Steven begged, "I'll be fine, Pearl! I wanna explore!"
She sighed. "Alright, just promise you'll watch out from now on."
"Can do!" He grinned and gave her a thumbs up. Amethyst chuckled and hoisted Steven over her shoulder.
"Come on Steven! Let's go!" She beamed and started to carry him through the caverns with a Garnet and a Pearl close behind. They walked for a while until they came to a heavy door made of the same composite that crowded the cave. It had a detailed human-like heart etched into the surface.
They all stood and stared for a while until Garnet abruptly summoned her weapons and smashed the door to pieces. The others jumped back and exclaimed. Garnet lowered her fists and her weapons disappeared. "Let's continue." She monotoned.
She started for the opening but suddenly froze. Pearl tilted her head in confusion, watching her with a frown. "What is it?" She asked.
"I can't--urgh!--get through!" Garnet grunted pushing against an invisible force field so hard that her heels dug into the ground. Amethyst set Steven down put her hands on Garnet's rear and started to push with her, grunting as well. Pearl raised one eyebrow and went to tap the barrier. However, she couldn't find anything there at all. Pearl blinked and walked ahead of Garnet, moving to stand in front of her.
Garnet growled and dropped her arms, panting slightly. "What's going on?" She grumbled.
Amethyst and Steven went to stand beside Pearl. Garnet tried to reach for them but her hand stopped again like she was touching a glass wall. "Hmm..." Pearl narrowed her eyes and leaned closer, tapping Garnet's palm. "Maybe this force field prohibits fusions?"
Steven gasped. "You mean since Garnet is Sapphire and Ruby, she can't come through?"
"That must be it." Pearl turned to Garnet. "You can wait here if you wish, Gar--"
Garnet grunted as she slammed against the barrier. In a blinding flash of light, Garnet burst through the field. But she had been forcefully unfused, and now Ruby and Sapphire lay on the ground, moaning and rubbing their backsides.
"Woah..." Amethyt's eyes went wide. "That was kinda cool."
Ruby and Sapphire gasped and stood up quickly, rushing towards one another with their arms outstretched. They embraced and tried over and over to refuse, but it was no use. There was no reaction whatsoever.
Ruby growled, tightly holding Sapphire's hand in her own and kicking the air where the barrier had been. She looked kind of stupid fighting nothing like that, but no one really made any comments. Sapphire finally restrained her, though, holding her tightly and whispering soothingly.
There was a moment of awkward silence between them all until Pearl spoke up and interrupted the wordlessness.
"Well. If you don't want to wait here, we could just leave."
Sapphire shook her head, "No. This is fine. We can manage,"
"I don't like it," Ruby grumbled.
"I know. But we'll miss out in the excitement if we stay behind." Sapphire reasoned.
"So?"
"Oh, come now, Ruby." She kissed her temple gently and smiled. Ruby sighed and muttered a reluctantly "fine" under her breath, leaning against Sapphire absent-mindedly.
Pearl nodded and spun on her heel. "Then it's settled. Let's get going."

By the time they reached a clearing in the cave, Steven was still chatting excitedly with a Ruby and Sapphire. Ruby had quickly grown tired of his constant questions, so it was mainly patient Sapphire who did the talking now. Steven was just inquiring about what it feels like when they eat something as Garnet when the ground beneath them began to shake. Pearl and Amethyst drew their weapons and Ruby and Sappire joined hands anxiously.
A few stalactites began to crash down and there was a rumbling sound, like a mass of organisms moving at once. From a tunnel in front of them, there came a harsh light and the sound became louder until at last the source emerged.
It was millions upon millions of those little creatures that had attacked Steven at the puddle at the beginning of the cave. They had all formed together to make a massive monster with the loose form of a beefy human, much like Jasper, but more extreme. It roared, a deafening sound, and lunge at them instantly. Pearl grabbed Steven and jumped back while the others moved to the side. Ruby and Sapphire rushed over, nodding at Pearl as they took a defensive position in front of Steven.
Pearl dipped her head and gave Amethyst a wordless signal. Simultaneously, they sprang at the monster, slicing at it. But as soon as it broke apart, the little creatures it was composed of simply mashed back together. They kept trying and trying, but to no avail.
"Wait!" Steven gasped and pointed to the monsters chest, "Amethyst, Pearl, look!" He gestured desperately. "Try hitting that heart in the center! They're protecting it, it's gotta be important!"
The instant Steven said anything, the monster turned to him and started to lumber towards him, like it knew he had figured out its secret and he had to put him down before he said anything. But it was too late.
Ruby and Sapphire cried out in unison, summoning their weapons in a flash of brilliant luminescence. Ruby had tough boxing gloves on, tied tight with black cords and decorated with stars. Sapphire had a pair jeweled knuckle type weapons, with sharp blue jewels on the knuckles. In perfect unison, they began to fight off the horde of creatures that formed the giant's fists. Just as they began to force it back, Pearl and Amethyst reached the crystal heart. They slashed at it relentlessly and the monster howled, spinning and hitting at anyone it could.
As Amethyst and Pearl tore into the heart, the energy that stopped Ruby and Sapphire from fusing began to fade. Only a few more hits and--
The monster brought down its massive fist, nearly crushing the two gem warriors. They were still protecting Steven, who was curled up and cowering between them. Just when it looked like this was it, Pearl landed a final blow to the heart and in another burst of light, Garnet refused and clapped her hands together, crushing the little gem creatures between her gauntlets. She finished off the remaining adversaries quickly.
Pearl and Amethyst rushed over to Steven, who was trembling and hiding his face in his cheeseburger backpack. "Steven! Are you hurt?!" Pearl cried, wrapping her arms around him tightly.
He shook his head quickly and took a few moments before raising his head and grinning from ear to ear. "That was so cool!"
Pearl let out a long sigh of relief and laughed. Amethyst cackled, ruffling his hair affectionately and helping him stand up. Everyone turned to Garnet, who was just stomping on the last monster.
She held up the crystal heart and bubbled it. "We should keep this. If we can restore it, it may come in handy later. We'll have to take another trip to Rose's fountain."
Pearl nodded and smiled. "You were excellent. It's been a long time since I've seen Ruby and Sapphire fight alongside us."
Garnet smirked. "It was refreshing."
Steven gasped and latched onto Garnet's leg. "Garnet! You were so cool! I mean--Ruby and Sapphire! I didn't know they could fight like that! Oh! You're weapon makes sense now! Wow, thats super cool, oh my gosh, you're so cool Garnet! I--"
Garnet knelt down and shushed him softly. "Let's talk on the way home, okay? This place isn't safe."
Steven blinked and then nodded, his eyes shining with excitement. "Okay!"
Garnet chuckled and kissed his forehead lightly. "And...thanks, Steven."