Tiberius shook his head. "Not normal but, as I've come to learn, there is nothing typical about you. You break the norm at every turn. After all, no fledgling Atlantian has ever become the Matriarch. Yet, here you are, still in your first year and already changing everything."

Aubrey's cheeks heated as she dropped her gaze to the floor. Tiberius used his free hand to tilt up her face. "And, take it from a man that is much older than he looks, that is a very good thing." He glanced around at the room which appeared much the same as it had under the former Matriarch. "Change is important. If there is no change, things stagnate."

"You're not old." Aubrey protested, a frown appearing on her brow. "And I'm not sure I like that tone."

He turned his gaze away for several long moments. His shoulders moving up and down with each breath.

Finally, he whispered, "I'm leaving."

"What?"

Tiberius squeezed her hand before stepping back. "I will be here for your first year as Matriarch but then I will be heading to the northern borders to help train the dragon hatchlings. I need some time away from – here."

Aubrey stomach lurched. A part of her wanted to cling on his hand, to beg him to remain at her side like a security blanket. And yet, she knew how much he was suffering within these walls.

Reaching up, she gently placed her hand on his cheek. "I thank you for wanting to stay and help me through. But, if you need to leave sooner, I won't make you stay. At least not for my sake. I have Barnaby. He's no replacement for you but, as your friend, I can't make you stay when I know this place is making you suffer." She only smiled and shook her head when it looked like he was going to argue. "My mind it set. I will let you have a few weeks to get organised for your trip and then I will order you away if I have to. You deserve to get better."

"I am fully recovered." Tiberius stated immediately, puffing out his chest in a bout of misplaced male ego. "I can fight and defend alongside everyone else."

"Of course you can, your physical wounds have all healed." Aubrey stated, her fingers trailing over the marks that even the Atlantian healing had been unable to complete erase. "But, you went through something most people never experienced. You were betrayed by people who were meant to be brothers, tortured far beyond what most people can handle, and you kept your strength through all of that. You deserve a break, even if that means I have to be without you for a while."

"I can't leave until I have found someone to lead your protection detail."

Leaning forwards, Aubrey pressed a brief kiss to the man's cheek. She ignored the way his eyes widened in surprise. Then, stepping back, she brushed down her skirts and lifted her chin.

"Fine. I'll let you find a stand in and then I'm ordering you to go." Aubrey conceded, turning away from the man to straighten out her robes. "Now, enough talk, we've got an induction ceremony to begin."

Only giving a nod of his head in response, Tiberius turned away. He rolled his shoulder and tilted his head from side to side, attempting to mentally prepare himself for what was to come. And then, at long last, he returned to the door and pulled it open.

Several Atlantians drifted through the now open doorway. Immediately, Aubrey felt the room around them warming up with magical energy. Atlantis itself responding like an eager puppy; it's excitement palpable. She could almost taste it. She could see that the others felt it too, their cheeks becoming flushed and their posture straightening.

Taking her place at the front of the room, Aubrey pushed thoughts of Tiberius' departure from her mind. Instead she focused on what was to come. Plastering a bright smile on her face, the expression only appeared forced for a few seconds.