Chapter Thirty Six- Charge

Start from the beginning

"Sure you don't." Kimi said, smiling mischievously

"Oh hush. What is it you are here for anyway?" Eboni said her bowl of food nearly empty.

Iasa jumped from the bed and with Kimi's help, brought into the room a small wooden chest.

"What is that?" Eboni asked nervously as she noted the Princess's seal on the lock.

"You have every reason to be afraid, I got one too." Kimi joked, faking a shudder as Iasa scowled at her.

"What is inside Iasa?" Eboni asked again.

"Well." The Princess began, producing a key from a chain from around her neck. "In a small amount of time we will be fighting for our lives- our people's lives. And I will be damned it I don't make sure that we don't all look fabulously fierce." She unlocked the chest, the lid popping open to reveal the most terrifying sight Eboni had seen.

Eboni discarded her empty bowl on her bed as she slipped out the other side, throwing her hands up in frustration.

"No. Dear Elementi no!" She said, shaking her head fervently.

"It is of no use Eboni. You have to get changed from your night gown anyway. It's only a dress!" Iasa smiled innocently, picking up the garment to show her.

"What did you get, Kimi?" Eboni asked, hoping she wouldn't be the only one to look like an overdressed fool.

"Tight black trousers, a fitted white cotton shirt and the most ridiculously over the top corset I have ever seen in my life." She replied.

"I want that." Eboni said, her eyes wide and pleading.

"You look way better in a dress. Trust me!"

With those haunting words ringing through her ear and Kimi sent to her own room to change, Eboni bathed, scrubbed had her hair styled and slipped on the dress.

"No makeup?" She said, sighing in relief

"The Sher Wood warriors have asked if we would like to join them in their pre-fight ritual of war painting. It will look far fiercer than what I could ever do." Iasa replied, looking her up and down, nodding in approval.

"Look."

Eboni to face a mirror that had been stored in her room from the Rolezal camp.

Her black hair was curled loosely, pinned back strategically to keep the hair from her face.

The dress Iasa had coerced her into was brilliant white. It hung tightly from her shoulders, intricate lace and beading stopping at her waist, which had been cinched in by a thick gold corset.

Eboni had thought she would be restricted by the long floating skirt when Iasa had first pulled it out of the chest. But now she had it on she had found two strategically placed slits had been created to allow her free movement. Though she had slipped on some trousers underneath while the princess wasn't looking.

"I will leave you to prepare yourself. It is my turn to get ready. See you on the grass." Iasa said, smiling kindly as she took in Eboni's mix of expressions. Awe, excitement, nervousness- dread.

"Iasa." Eboni said, stopping her at the doorway. "Thank you."

"Always, sister." She replied, before returning to her own room.

Walking tentatively down the steps to the grassy area on the other side of the moat, Eboni was relieved to see that she wasn't the only one who was dressed up- whether it was Iasa's doing she wasn't sure. They truly did look like a formidable group.