Chapter 14: Raising a Model of Generation That Adheres to The Qur'an

Let there be a community (of people) among you who calls to good, enjoins right, and forbids wrong. They are the ones who meet with success. (Surah Al 'Imran: 104)

Many people take other people as examples and strive to be like them. From their culture to the way they talk or dress, they imitate those people and yearn for their lifestyle. Yet, almost all of these role models have their failings and possess a morality or understanding that lead people to evil. For humanity, the best role model to follow is that of our Prophet (saas), for the origin of his morality and moral excellence is the Qur'an. Our Prophet (saas) and his companions were conscientious, God-fearing people who embodied the Qur'an's morality and had a profound love for Allah.

Allah honored people of faith with the attribute of "overlords (khulafa') on Earth"(Surat al-An'am: 165), and granted them honor both in this world and the next. History witnessed the most perfect forms of peace, happiness, security, justice, love, friendship, brotherhood and sisterhood, compassion, and sacrifice in the lands ruled by our Prophet (saas). Indeed, this period was named the "Era of Bliss." Allah gave the good news of this recompense, which sincere believers will receive while still living in this world:

Anyone who acts rightly, male or female, being a believer, We will give them a good life and will recompense them according to the best of what they did. (Surat an-Nahl: 97)

For this reason, it is of great importance for this present generation to raise a new generation made up of people who think, rule, speak, and decide in compliance with the Qur'an and Sunna of our Prophet (saas). The Qur'an gives a detailed account of the attributes of such a Muslim society, one in which genuine believers follow in the Messenger's footsteps and seek only Allah's good pleasure. Some of their attributes are as follows:

They worship Allah alone. (Surat al-Fatiha: 3)They have submitted themselves to Allah. (Surat at-Tawba: 51)They are aware that they are weak before Allah's Presence. (Surat al-Jinn: 22)They fear Allah, and strenuously avoid any form of morality that is displeasing to Him. (Surat ar-Ra'd: 21)They feel grateful to Allah under all circumstances and conditions. (Surat al-Baqara: 172)They are forgiving and tolerant. (Surat al-Hijr: 85)They are modest. (Surat al-Furqan: 63)They are compassionate and merciful. (Surat at-Tawba: 128)They enjoin the good and forbid evil. (Surah Al 'Imran: 104)They are in a mood of unity and solidarity. (Surah as-Saff: 4)They always advocate righteousness and justice, and never support the wrongdoers. (Surat an-Nisa': 58, 105)They keep their promises. (Surat al-Baqara: 177)They turn away from profane talk. (Surat al-Furqan: 72)They are patient; hardships never deter them. (Surah Al 'Imran: 146; Surah Hud: 55)They are reliable and courageous. (Surah Yunus: 71)They abide by the principles of Islam. (Surat al-A'raf: 89)They do not force people to accept their ideas; they only explain them. (Surat an-Nahl: 125)They do not seek to gain any interests in return for their efforts. (Surat ash-Shura: 23)They do not avoid telling the truth. (Surat al-Ma'ida: 54)They take pleasure from arts and aesthetics.They are against bigotry and intolerance.

When these qualities become dominant, the moral degeneration, wars, cruelty, poverty, fraud, social disasters, troubles, and hardships that currently prevail throughout the world will be replaced by peace, security, justice, tolerance, friendship, and charity, for the Qur'an's morality brings spiritual and material wealth and beauty to humanity. In general, living by the Qur'an will create everlasting solutions to all problems.

With the verse: "O You who believe, enter Islam totally. Do not follow in the footsteps of Devil. He is an outright enemy to you"(Surat al-Baqara: 208), Allah summons people to live by the Qur'an's values.

Those who reject their society's unjust customs and traditions and adhere to the Qur'an are, in the Qur'an's terminology, those who "enter Islam." Otherwise, bigoted, insincere, fearful, timid, narrow-minded, ignorant, unwise, and imprudent societies that harbor countless unjust beliefs come into existence. Their members live only to satisfy their whims and desires, pursue mundane goals, see no limits in immorality, and feel overwhelmed by the pressure of the rules and principles that stem from ignorant systems. Surely one would not expect to lead a tolerant, civilized, peaceful, and secure life in such a society.

For this reason, every person of faith must feel grateful to Allah, for He granted sincere faith to all believers, guided them to the truth, and honored them with getting to know our Prophet (saas). The way to show this gratefulness is to display fully the Qur'an's morality and to follow the Sunna of our Prophet (saas). Refusing to do so is ungratefulness toward Allah, an attitude that will be punished severely in the Hereafter.