Chapter 24: Mission Canada, Part 3

"Sir Shingo is behind this mission." I sit back in my chair, keeping my temper in check. "I assume his child has disappeared...or maybe his wife?" I hold an open palm to the ceiling.

I notice Aamina fidgeting with her shirt's sleeve, stealing glances between the table and me. A knock on the door makes the three of us jump from our seats.

"Look, we have to go. Don't worry about me, I am safe."

"Reach out to us if you need help! We can't provide..." I hit the off button before Satoru can finish his statement.

I walk into the kitchen, grab my knife, and gesture for the sisters to stay where they are. It is going on two in the morning...nobody should be knocking on a residence this early.

"Léonce, what brings you here this earlier in the morning?"

"Ah, Madam Santa-Clara. I was not expecting you to answer. If I may please come in..."

"I don't think that is a good idea. I am heading off to bed in a few minutes."

His dark-brown eyes scan my face and shoulders before meeting my purple eyes. A half grin reveals teeth, stained from acidic foods. I mimic his facial expressions before continuing our conversation.

"Are you here to pick up a report? Or are you checking out my injuries?"

"Neither. Tell Businge and Aamina to get their things and meet me outside."

With that, Léonce turns around, shoves his hands into his pockets, and walks downstairs. When the door leading outside clicks shut, I scan the hallway to make sure it is clear. I turn back to my company.

"Who was there?"

"Léonce. He claims to be taking you both back to campus."

Silence.

"Aamina and Businge, this information will stay between us: I don't trust Léonce in the slightest."

I sit back down and rub the dry blood on my right wrist.

"Why don't you trust him?" Aamina asks, her eyes moving between the table and my face.

I lick the back of my teeth and fold my arms across my chest. I start laughing.

Aamina starts fidgeting with her sleeve again and bites her lower lip. She slams her fists onto her lap before talking.

"I think it would be best if you came to our campus! This way, you will be able to find whatever information it is you are looking for. Now tell us why you distrust Léonce?"

I stop laughing and lean back in my chair, looking my counterparts in the face.

"Simple, we met before under different circumstances. Where was he during..."

Buzz, buzz.

"Oh, come on! Paula just texted us that we are returning to campus." Aamina's voice whines out. Businge laughs under her breath.

I hold up a finger and disappear into the bedroom. The sisters move from the table and stand under the door jam.

"What are you looking for, Blaze?", Businge asks, "and to your question, Léonce was in Japan during the New Year."

I smile to myself as I put my backpack over my left shoulder.

Roughly an Hour Later

"Hey, sleeping beauties, we are here."

Businge nudges Aamina and me gently. Both of us used the other for support during the ride to campus. I take my seatbelt off while supporting Aamina's neck, and gesture for Businge to help carry her inside.