Chapter 21: The Future

"Yaga, where is Santa-Clara?"

"Lord Aldric, if I knew where she was, I would drag her into this meeting."

"If I could add a suggestion to the present problem."

"What is it, Principal Gakuganji?"

"Why don't we hold off the meeting until tomorrow? We have noticed her adjustment to Jujutsu Tech has been rough. Would you not agree with my statement, Yaga? As her primary instructor, you spend more time with Santa-Clara and have a better understanding of her life as a student."

Yaga's eyes harden as he looks from person to person.

"Lady Fabrice, Lord Aldric, and Principal Gakuganji, I am not at liberty to discuss the well-being of my students without them present. I do agree on holding off the meeting until we get a hold of Santa-Clara. May we disband for the night?"

Meanwhile...

A chill runs down my spine as I turn the handle on the back door. While my ability to sense out opponents is diminished, I can pick up some information on whoever is upstairs. They are roughly Simon's height, lack curse energy, and have a nearly undetectable heartbeat.

I stay by the door for what feels like an eternity before heading toward the stairs. The individual upstairs has made it to the third floor. I bolt for the end of the hallway while echoes of shoes bounce off the floors and walls. As I round a corner, the emergency exit door insight, a pair of red eyes catch me off guard, and the environment turns black.

Swish, swish, swish.

Why does it feel like my body is bobbing up and down? And this breeze! It is saturating my bones with a cloak of winter frost. I have never consumed a drop of liquor in my life, but the buzzing in my head makes me nauseous.

I am pulled underneath the water so quickly that my heart rate shoots up! My arms punch upwards as the surface grows further and further away. A soft pair of arms hug my torso, their weight crushes my lungs.

Suddenly, I feel light as a feather. Butterflies and fear still have a firm grasp on my reality. Think of Me from Phantom of the Opera dances in my ears. I can't help but whistle to the music as my body drops to the hardwood floor.

Let me get myself ready for the day before everyone else wakes up. A morning walk should do the trick!

4:30 am

"Why am I in the middle of a staircase?"

"I was running away from something last night while you were sleeping. Please meet me outside in five minutes."

.....

"What are you planning to do, Blaze?"

"Escort you back to Tokyo. Unless you want to hang out in Kyoto and miss school. The choice is for you to make."

....

"Hey, I told your parents you would be spending one night here. I did not specify whether or not you would be missing school. Could you stop looking at me with a furrowed brow? It is not like you."

"Can we get a coffee or tea on our way to the station? And why do you insist on escorting me?"

"Yes, we can get coffee, and I can explain my reasoning on the trip back. Hurry up. The first train leaves at six."

Train Ride: Destination, Shibuya Station

"Start talking." Simon glares over his coffee cup

What is there to lose or gain?

"I am a sorceress, Simon, and have different abilities involving magic."