Chapter 2

a/n: i dont own this fanart either

"God, fricking–" Kuroo let out a string of curse words as what felt like a tidal wave drenched him. Some idiot, who was probably gonna get in a car wreck, was driving way too fast through Tokyo's busy streets, especially given it was raining. And now Kuroo was covered in filthy sewer water. And late for work. School hadn't even started yet.

Kuroo seriously debated giving up and calling an uber, but he really couldn't afford that being a broke college student (especially since he'd gotten an apartment that year, which was still crazy expensive even though he and Bokuto were rooming together). He regretted it by the time he finally got to Starbucks a grand total of seventeen minutes after his shift started, but it was too late to do anything about that.

"Kuroo what h*ll, you know how much I hate covering your shifts–I have a life too you know!–and god, what happened to you, you look like crap? Your hair's even worse than usual." Yaku was not happy that Kuroo was late. Him and Kuroo worked a lot of the same times, having a similar schedule as they were both on Todai's volleyball team.

"Yaku, it was just one time–"

"One time my a*s, that's the sixth time since we started working here–"

"That was like a year ago!" Kuroo whined, amazed Yaku was keeping track. It was Yaku, then again, so actually it wasn't such an impressive feat. He was spectacular at holding grudges.

"Just–god, just–go put your apron and gloves on and stuff, I need help here!" As it turned out, it wasn't too big of a deal being late, given the surprisingly empty coffee shop, although Yaku had been doing a lot of the work by himself. Kuroo almost liked when it was busy, he didn't feel so bored just standing around, waiting to make something. He sighed when he looked at the clock and saw it'd only been a half hour or so since he got there, and still had over five more left.

"Yaku-sannnnn!!!!!! Good morning!!!!!" Kuroo grinned, hearing the ever-familiar voice of Lev, his former (and now current) underclassmen, also Yaku's soulmate. If Kuroo thought he laughed hard reading Yaku's wrists, it was nothing compared to seeing Yaku's face when the overly-energetic, giant of a first-year walked up to him for the first time and exclaimed, "Awwww, Yaku-san is so small and cute–GAHH!"

"Lev, I swear, if you're here to–"

"I'm not here to bother you, I promise! I just wanted to say hi!" Kuroo smirked, seeing Lev's fingers crossed behind his back. Starbucks needed some excitement anyway.

"Hello Kuroo-senpai!" Lev greeted brightly. "Hey Lev, long time no see!" Kuroo called back, already getting the stuff to make his order, which even he had memorized, given how often Lev frequented the place during his and Yaku's shifts.

"No–you know what, I'll make it, you deal with him." Yaku smiled tightly as Lev protested, but his boyfriend was already walking away.

"But Yaku! I haven't seen you all week–"

"I'll see you later today at the volleyball meeting." Yaku responded curtly. Lev had made it into their school and onto the team, and there was an orientation meeting later for new members.

Lev made a disappointed noise. "Guess I'll just have to talk to the butt dialer then..." He trailed off glumly, leaning on the counter and resting his head in his hands.

"Oi, I'm fun to talk to too!–and I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL ME THAT" Kuroo shouted in his defense. He continued grumbling under his breath, ignoring Yaku who shouted back "Whatever you say Mr. Butt Dialer!" as he started putting Lev's order in the cash register.