The Ones Who Survive

It had been weeks since the last time Katya had taken Trixie out. Instead of joining the mafia boss on jobs, the doll had been locked up in the house, with no clear explanation as to why.

"I just don't understand why I can't come with you, I've always managed well on jobs." Trixie argued.

"It's too dangerous, Trixie. I can't let you get hurt."

"I know how to take care of myself! I'm not a fucking child!"

"Listen Trix, I can't discuss this now. I have to go, I'm sorry." Katya said as she grabbed her coat, ready to run out the door and jump into a car with bulletproof windows. And a moment later she was gone, leaving a confused blonde behind.

Katya couldn't tell her, couldn't explain what had changed over the course of only a few weeks. She would just have to trust that Trixie would forgive her in the end. Perhaps it was a foolish plan, but people will do nearly anything for the sake of a loved one.

She never thought the file would be in Ilia's possession, never having thought that he'd be one to betray her family, but she was certain whatever was on the USB flash drive would reveal his reasons. Katya was certain he wasn't the leader behind it all, knowing there had to be someone with far more influence behind him, but one thing she was sure of; Ilia had been the rat.

He had been the one to give them a way in.

The one who gave up their locations.

The one who caused her family to die.

The one who stole her mother away from her.

"You ready, Miss Zamolodchikova?" Her driver asked.

"Yes, let's go."

Katya watched as the house behind her got smaller, feeling the guilt fill her up as she noticed Trixie staring longingly out the window. She would've loved to bring the doll with her, but Trixie couldn't know what she was planning, not under any circumstance could she know. If she did know, she'd probably argue and demand for Katya to find another way, but the Russian knew far too well that this was the only option.

The ride to the garage wasn't long, in just under half an hour they arrived. Katya climbed out of the car and told her driver to keep the engine running. She wouldn't stay long.

"Are you sure about this, Katya?" A familiar voice called out.

The mob boss turned around, seeing Vlad step out of his car and walk towards her. He was dressed in all black, the ensemble hugging his body tightly. It was needed for where they would go after this stop.

"Completely. Once that USB is in our possession, there'll be a target on my back, and even more importantly; Trixie's. I can't have anything happen to her. I need there to be no chance that they'll go after her."

"But Katya, won't this plan just make them think that she is close to you?" Vlad questioned.

"It might have, but it won't if she believes I've run off. If she believes that I've betrayed her, then they'll believe the same."

Katya knew it was risky, knew that it would end up hurting the girl she loved so much. But it was the only way. She needed to know who was behind it all, needed to know why her family died.

"Zamo, a pleasure to see you. You're looking well." A tall woman with black hair said. Her blue jumpsuit was significantly cleaner than that of the others in the repair shop, but her hands showed the remnants of the long day's work clearly.

"You aswell, Sofia. Business well?" Katya asked as she and Vlad walked closer to the girl.

Sofia was Italian by blood, but born and raised in the US. She disdained the Italian mafia. Well, in truth she disdained all mafia in general. But Katya had saved her garage from ruin, so Sofia now helped the Zamolodchikov Circle whenever they needed. Katya preferred using Sofia's small garage, feeling safety from knowing that most had no idea her repair shop even existed.

"Yeah, it's going pretty well. I was surprised by your request though. Never had a car here to make it malfunction on purpose before, but there's a first for everything I guess." She says with a laugh, leading Katya and Vlad over to where the Mercedes S-Class they'd delivered in was parked.

"Is it done?" Vlad asked.

"Yeah, all done per your specifications. What's it for anyways?"

"No questions." The man answered harshly, making the Italian girl jump back slightly.

"Vlad, chill. Jesus, just go outside." Katya interjected, rolling her eyes at the man's threatening demeanor.

Vlad walked out of the garage, grunting out something about the lack of respect in Russian, before leaning against the door frame and lighting up a cigarette.

"Sorry about him." Katya said.

"No worries. But yes, the car is done, completely as you wanted it. Be careful though, even the most perfected mechanism can run into issues. I don't wanna see you end up dead by the side of a road."

Katya nearly laughed at that, thinking of how ironic the sentence truly was. Still, she pulled herself together and nodded.

"I'll be careful. Thank you for doing this, I know it's an abnormal order."

"Of course. You know I'd do nearly anything for you." Sofia said with an adoring smile.

Katya did know that. It was the very reason that she had not mentioned Trixie's name once in the presence of the Italian. Sofia had been interested in her for as long as she could remember, and there was no doubt that it made the girl far more helpful when it came to odd or dangerous requests.

"Yeah, thanks. Anyways, I have to get going, but Vlad will take the car." Katya replied, rushing to get away from the girl's flirtation.

"Of course, I'll have the guys bring it out for him." Sofia said, disappointment evident on her face.

"Great, the money should be in your account by morning."

Katya walked out of the garage quickly, telling Vlad to get the car on her way out before getting in her own vehicle and instructing her driver to go as fast as possible.

Perfect, one stop down, and two to go.