Chapter 8 : He Tried

One fine day, Riki excitely heads to Sunoo's house, wanting to show off his culinary skills that was taught by his mother. He brought an egg, sausage, and nori sheets, wanting to show Sunoo how to make tamagoyaki. Sunoo was thrilled, he couldn't wait to try it.

Riki picks out a knife and chopping board and dice up the sausage. Sunoo at his side in awe of his knife skills.

"Wahhh! You're so good!" Sunoo said, which boosted Riki's self-esteem.

Riki's excitement got a little out of hand as he swung his arm back and stabbed Sunoo's abdomen by accident. Sunoo's eyes widen, feeling the blood rushing out of him and the pain filling his body. He fell onto the ground, gripping tight on the knife. Sunoo's mother happened to have left to dispose some garbage in the nearby garbage collection area, completely trusting that they'll be fine with Sunoo's sister and father being at school and work respectively. Riki was horrified, he was unsure of what he should do.

As the young boy he was, he has never encountered such situations, and no one has taught him what to do if he gets caught up in one. Riki pulled the knife out of Sunoo's body, thinking it will help to ease the pain. Sunoo held tight onto his abdomen, curled up into a ball, wanting the pain to go away. Riki was too afraid and anxious, his mind got clouded and has never once thought about contacting the ambulance or seeking help. Perhaps this is the problem that was meant to surface with the lack of proper education from his old family and schools.

Sunoo felt his energy draining, his blood oozing out at a rapid speed. Riki pulled Sunoo onto his lap and hugged him tight, hoping it would make him feel any better. Sadly, it didn't help.

Luck was on Sunoo's side, his mother returned home and notice the two young boys on the floor. She went over to take a look and was frightened. She asked Riki what happened after she rushed to get the phone and dialled for the ambulance. She was not disappointed in the boy but herself to let two young boys be alone with knives and fire. She told herself it was her fault while pretending she was fine and reassured Sunoo he will be too.

Riki sat by the side, not sure what he could do, just staring at Sunoo's bloody body and hoping he will be alright.

"Blood..." Riki said to himself softly that Sunoo and Mrs Kim wouldn't hear it.

He gulped, memories of his past floods back. Remembering the times when his biological parents would cane or whip him until he was bleeding, to the point he was unconcious. He held onto his own arm, nails digging right into it. The memories are bringing him psychological pain, which influenced him to feel physical pain as well.

The siren of the ambulance, the beeping of the heart monitor, Riki's heart was pounding. "Please be okay."

"You'll be okay, Sunoo. Don't worry." Mrs Kim said, holding her son's hand.

They arrived at the emergency care unit in no time, sending Sunoo in for surgery as soon as they arrive.

Riki was scared and Sunoo's mother was both anxious and afraid. Both their minds flooded with thoughts, concerns and so much more.

Sunoo's father, who was informed about what happened by sunoo's mother while they were on their way to the hospital in the ambulance, rushed down. Praying his son will be alright.

The surgery took a few hours, but it felt like forever. The three sat outside the operating theatre, waiting for the doctors who were tending to Sunoo to come out.

"How is he doctor?!" Sunoo's mother rushed over as she saw the surgeon step out.

"He's currently stable, but since the wound was quite deep, we have to put him in the intensive care unit. We do not want to risk any infections since he has a pre-existing lung condition. Also, the next few days can be crucial, the stab hit his kidney and it could be fatal. We have already tried to do what we can, now we can only hope his body is able to fight hard for recovery." The surgeon said.

"Thank you, doctor." Sunoo's father said, holding his teary wife in his arms.

All this while Riki remained silent, he blamed himself and he was much more terrified about his punishments and what will happen to Sunoo.

The surgeon gave them a light bow before walking off. Then his parents zoomed to the ICU with Riki. What was disappointing is that they could not enter the ward. They could only look at Sunoo, who had tubes running through him, from the glass panel that was separating them. Sunoo's mother completely broke down, looking at her son, who was laying there alone and suffering in pain. Mr Kim had to stay strong, he wanted to cry. But for his wife, he held it back, he needed to comfort and give her reassurance.

Riki has his hands planted on the glass panel, staring right at Sunoo while praying and repeating "Will you be okay..."

Sunoo's parents rang Mrs Park to tell her about what happened, also informing her than Riki was with her at the hospital and hoping she could drop by to pick him up.

"I'll come by. Please give me about half an hour." Mrs Park said throught the phone.

"Okay, thank you." Mrs Kim responded.

The wait was quiet, tense and awkward. Riki had no idea what to say to Sunoo's parents because all this was his fault and he can't reassure them since he doesn't know for sure Sunoo will get better. He also didn't know how to express his apology, since he knew he will not be forgiven. Mr and Mrs Kim, both had no idea what to say to Riki either. They couldn't tell him it's okay and not to worry since it was absolutely not okay.

Thankfully, Mrs Park arrived fast and picked Riki up. Repeatedly apologizing to Sunoo's parents about what happened, saying that the family will shoulder Sunoo's medical fees and they'll find the best doctor to give him the best treatment. Sunoo's mother was upset, she didn't want to hear any of what Mrs Park was saying, she told them to leave.

Not long after Riki and his mother left, sunoo's heart rate monitor goes flat. It was as though Sunoo could sense that Riki has left before letting himself go. He didn't want Riki to be here to watch him die. Doctors and nurses rushed in, trying their best to save him.
"I tried mom, dad, Riki. I'm sorry." Sunoo thought to himself, a single tear drop slid down from his eye as he left the world.