𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

"Uh, he's staying with his dad for a bit." Landon responded. "I think it'll be good for him."

Jed's eyes drifted over to Sebastian who was standing beside Evelyn, simply staring at the him. "Tell, uh, Captain Cheekbones he's got a weird staring problem."

Jed laughed airily as he walked away from them, Landon speaking up. "It's okay, lots of vampires can't be around one werewolf, let alone this many. Most vampires can't control their emotions. Downside of all the power, I guess."

"I think having no power would be far more concerning." Sebastian told him, turning his head. "You know, a little blonde birdie told that Clarke almost killed Hope and Evelyn here. They were powerless and running for their lives, and you were...you were...you were searching for yourself?"

"Sebastian-." Evelyn sighed, Landon interrupting her to defend his actions. "I was trying to keep everyone safe."

"And did it work?" Sebastian asked, "Mm. Not that you could have done anything anyway, of course. But if the girl that I loved and my best friend were in danger, I would want to be able to protect her."

Landon slammed the weighted ball against the man's chest. "He'll play."

All the wolves and vamps separated to different sides of the gym. The game began as Sebastian dodged ball after ball, throwing as many as he could. It eventually narrowed down to Sebastian being the only one left on the vampires side when Jed threw a ball, finally hitting him.

The vamps stood while the wolves backed up, everyone worried about his reaction. Evelyn and Jed walked over to Sebastian as he picked the ball up off the ground and turned to face them. After a beat, Sebastian laughed as everyone exhaled in relief. "Well played, my lupine friend."

The two shook hands as Jed said. "Rematch anytime, bloodsucker."

"Anytime." Sebastian laughed. "We should play together sometime." He told Evelyn.

"If that's what you want." Evelyn said, smiling softly at the man. "I think I've grown to like you, Evelyn." Sebastian told her.

༄༄༄

"So, you get along with the wolves. Now we just have to see if you fit in with the vampires here." Landon told Sebastian, the three walking down the steps to the main room. "Uh, we can hang out while they eat. Or drink, I guess. Animal blood, of course."

"Of course." Sebastian muttered. They looked up when a plate shattered, Alyssa Chang standing over it with her hand cut. "It slipped."

Sebastian stared at the blood but seemed to have no reaction to it unlike all the other vamps in the room. "Code red. Vamps, clear out. Now!" Dorian shouted, all the vamps speeding away. "Jed, calm your pack down."

"Wolves, follow me." Jed ordered, leading the wolves out.

"Sebastian." Evelyn warned, getting the boys attention. He glanced up just in time to see MG about to speed towards the blood, speeding forwards to stop him. "Breathe, Milton, breathe! Focus only on the sound of my voice. Breathe! Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. The urge will pass."

"I'm sorry." MG said as Sebastian slowly let go of him. "I'm sorry." He said before speeding out of the room.

Sebastian turned around to face them, "The witch, she broke that plate on purpose. Between her and your...budding ripper, are you sure it is me that you should be worried about?"

༄༄༄

"Okay, this is the final part of the test, hanging with the witches." Landon said, looking over at Sebastian. "Um, I'm warning you, don't push any buttons."

"Or you'll do what, die all over me?" Sebastian asked, Evelyn chuckling as Landon playfully glared at her.

"It's not me you should be worried about." Landon told him, Sebastian rolling his eyes. "Will you relax? Witches love me. Hello, Elizabeth."

Lizzie glanced up at him, "Oh...hey."

"Oh, you again." Sebastian said, spotting Alyssa. "I must say you just heal quickly."

"Right? It's like magic or something." Alyssa said, Evelyn moving to stand beside Sebastian. "And what magic is that crystal ball for?" She asked.

"Empathic trances." Alyssa responded, "It let's us read feelings that are buried deep down. Can we read yours? Vampires have heightened emotions. It'll be a total rush."

"I, for one, would like that." Lizzie commented, Sebastian looking over to her. "Then of course. I do love a good parlor trick."

Alyssa walked closer to him and moved the ball back and forth in front of his chest before stepping back from him. "I sense...fear. The modern world is terrifying to you. You're afraid they won't let you stay here at the school."

"That's not true." Sebastian denied, Alyssa continuing. "You're afraid they're gonna find out all the things you've done and throw you away, like trash off the side of a boat."

"Stop." Sebastian demanded, but Alyssa ignored him. "You know Lizzie's better than you and that you don't deserve her."

Landon grabbed Sebastian's arm but the vampire shoved him away and threw him across the mill. The witches began to use their magic on him as he released a pained cry. "Stop!" Lizzie pleaded.

With a wave of Evelyn's hand, all of the witches were knocked to the ground as she quickly walked over to Sebastian who had fallen to the ground. "Sebastian, let me help you." Evelyn whispered, pulling him to his feet. He looked up at Lizzie before turning and stumbling out of the old mill, Evelyn quickly following after him. "Wait!"

༄༄༄

Evelyn and Landon walked into the gym slowly as Sebastian hit the wooden posts with a sword. "Have you come to gloat, Landon?" Sebastian asked.

"We just wanted to see if you were okay." Evelyn told him gently, Sebastian turning to face her. "The fundamental truth is that I am not. When I was eight years old, my parents, they sold me, to a merchant ship. I hated that life, so every port we sailed to, I ran away. But the crew, they always found me again. And they devised very special punishments for me." He stepped closer to Evelyn, taking her hand in his own as he ran his thumb over it gently. "This is a cruel world, Evelyn, and I expect very little from it."

He let go of her hand, "But Elizabeth wants me, and I want her, too. I guess none of that matters now since I failed your test."

Sebastian reached up and ran his thumb gently across Evelyn's cheek, the two holding strong eye contact for a moment before Sebastian walked around her and out of the gym.