𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Börja om från början

༄༄༄

The two girls now sat at a table in the library, writing down potential options of what the monster could be until Hope finally snapped at the carolers. "I'm trying to work! So if you don't fa-la-la-la leave, I'm gonna give you all another piercing."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Kaleb said, walking over to them. "Sounds like someone could use a little help getting in the spirit."

"You want to help?" Evelyn asked, "Find me a freakin ax."

"So that's a neg on the nog?" Kaleb asked, sitting down in a chair beside the table.

"We need to figure out what monster's making everyone so freaking merry, then kill it." Hope told him, flipping through pages in a book.

"Whoa. That's naughty as hell, Hope." Kaleb said, shocked. "I got to do all I can to make it on Santa's nice list. 'Cause I've been asking for this one thing every Christmas and, uh, I never got it. But I'm hoping that this is the year."

Kaleb took a sip of the eggnog. "Oh. Hell yeah. You sure you don't want to hit this?"

"If I start hitting stuff now, I won't ever stop." Evelyn said, smiling tensely at the boy. "There's got to be someone around here who's as miserable as we are."

༄༄༄

"You're right. I am miserable." Clarke said, leaning against the cell bars. "So why would I help you?"

"Believe me, I wish I could ask anyone but you, but you're the only one beside Hope that isn't running around here like one of Santa's little helpers." Evelyn told him, rolling her eyes.

"On the bright side, me being miserable must be why I'm immune to the Christmas spirit. What's your excuse?" Clarke asked her, Evelyn sighing in annoyance at the man.

"I used to love every holiday. But, I lost a lot of my family, and everything in my life changed." Evelyn replied. "Everyone running around here thankful for what they have..."

"You realize what you're missing." Clarke finished softly, a tone of understanding in his voice. "What? If anyone can relate to being alone, it's me. I've never even had a Christmas. That's it. You want my help figuring out your monster? Let me eat, drink and be merry for once in my life. Go out with a bang."

"Now..." Clarke cleared his throat, "Should old acquaintance be forgot?"

Evelyn pondered it for a moment before signing at the man. "You're so annoying." She waved her hand, opening the cell and allowing Clarke to step out. "After you."

༄༄༄

Evelyn stood beside Clarke, staring at him in annoyance as he ate. "Wow, are you sure you aren't the bottomless pit?"

"Thanks." Clarke said as Dorian handed him a slip of paper before handing his plate to a passing student. "Here. Turn."

"Quit stalling, Clarke." Evelyn said, "Tell me what I'm looking for before I run out of goodwill for mud men and there are unpleasant consequences."

"Mm. My best guess? The Krampus." Clarke told her, Evelyn turning back around to face him. "The what?"

"Well, it's the monster that brought all this snow and ice to town." Clarke explained, walking down the steps. "And think of it as the anti-Santa. Santa Claus rewards good boys and girls, right? Well, the Krampus does the opposite. It seeks out hatred and anger instead of peace and joy."