XII: Subtle Change

July 2015

The moon was high above, lighting up the dark night, watching over the serene world below.

Inside a luxurious apartment was a couple tuning in to her favorite late night show. The beautiful woman with long soft brown hair had her head resting on his shoulder. He was slender but had a firm built. Her head fit perfectly on the crook of his neck.

Lovely was the night, just like their any other nights.

It was perfect, it was familiar, nothing has changed.

So she thought.

Not until a phone lit up from the center table in front of them.

He would never leave her head hanging not until then. He would never mind his phone unless it was important.

Not until then.

Her poor eyesight failed to read the sender's name. She stayed silent. Brought her head back upright as she adjusted in her seat. All too sudden she had no one to lean on. It was almost cruelly taken away without a warning.

It was the simplest thing that hurts. She remembered how his close friends would describe him when he receives her text messages. It was exactly the same as what she sees in him now.

She knew it was be a battle she was heading to. She wanted to pull him back but he was already at the battlefield, disguised in a beautiful scenery.

He set his phone back down and leaned back. He didn't even notice the head that left his shoulder.

"I want water," she asked softly.

"Water? I'll get it."

He was going to go but she stopped him. He looked at her quizzically. He raised his brows inquiring.

She examined his face as if there was something in there she could see, that would tell her that something has changed. No, it was the same man. She was sure of that. Maybe, she was just being too emotional.

She smiled a flat one. "I'm thirsty."

He shuffled her hair so softly. "I get it, I'll get you water."

His arms slid from her hold. She was just there, staring as he halted his way to the kitchen when he heard his phone ring. Her eyes never left his figure. She didn't even bother checking the caller ID.

Whether she was stunned from his response or she was evaluating his every move, she was not in the state to care.

It was only when he picked up his phone did she moved her attention to the phone screen.

Song Ha Jin

"It's probably about the script." He told her as he saw her looking at the phone on his hand.

No, he did not need to explain. She would never ask him to. She never made him explain the messages, the calls he gets. And he never felt like he needed to. Maybe because this time, there's something that changed.

And she feared that change.

He did not wait for her nod because when she did he was already on the phone.

He resumed his steps to the kitchen. He clicks his nails on the door of the the fridge several times as if thinking. Then he stopped and paced slowly before leaning on the kitchen island.

Three minutes? Four? Five? No one counted. But when he went back to his waiting girlfriend he was empty handed.

He sat next to her smiling. "She asked if we could change the next scene a little, her idea was ridiculous."