LIII: Dying Wish

2 months after Ganon's defeat

Link opened the door and peered through to see if Zelda was awake.

"Hello, my love, I brought you some soup. I tried to make you some in my cooking pot but I tastes it and... well, it was horrible, so I asked the kitchen to make you some and let me tell you, it tastes a lot better than mine did..."

Zelda sat up and coughed. "Thank you Link," she said, smiling weakly. She took the soup from him and began to sip it from the bowl.

"Earlier I was monitoring the construction in east Castle Town. It's coming along better than I anticipated! I offered to help the workers but they told me I should tend to you. Also, we're almost finished with the west wing of the castle. They're finishing up your old room. Mostly there's just a lot to clean up, but as you know there's some structural problems with part of the building ever since Ganon inhabited this place. They're also building a big monument for your dad. It was supposed to be a secret, but... I just can't keep quiet about it! I think it's wonderful. Hylians are coming from all over to live here. I sent a flyer to be posted in Hateno Village regarding the new estates in Castle Town. We have a lot of people moving, but we need more. But, you know, it's starting to fell a little bit more... normal. Things are surprisingly well."

Zelda smiled. "That's wonderful, Link. It's great to see it all coming together." She reached out for his hand before bursting into a coughing fit.

Link leaned down to kiss her but Zelda only gave in momentarily. She reached her hand for his face before pulling it back. Ever since they defeated Ganon, Zelda was acting weird and Link could tell. She was fighting some silent battle... something that made her refrain from loving Link the way she did before the Calamity. Suddenly, she burst into a coughing fit.

"Zelda," Link began, "I've been meaning to tell you... I wrote to another realm. I asked their kingdom if their best doctor could come out. I offered to pay for his whole journey... I've been saving up a little. I figured, since the doctor here can't figure out what's wrong, maybe-"

"Link," Zelda said, stopping him. "That won't be necessary."

"But you've been sick for two months, Zelda! And I see no indications that your condition is improving..."

"Link... please, I do not feel well. It is not necessary to bring in another doctor. I would like to rest more. Thank you for the soup, but please allow me to sleep."

Link frowned. All of his efforts to help her were fruitless. Why did she continue to reject his care? Regretfully, Link nodded and left. 

As he walked out of the castle, he felt defeated and lost. He thought that once Ganon was defeated, everything would go back to normal... him and Zelda could be together. He thought it would be nice, the time when he didn't have to sleep with sword in his hand. However, things seemed pretty bad now too. Zelda never seemed to return his affection anymore. She was saddened by something. Unsure how to proceed, Link decided that he needed advice from someone wise.

Link went to the royal stables to saddle up his horse. He was going to travel to the Korok Forest. 

"Hey old boy," Link said as he patted Druid's neck. Link's new horse now occupied Epona's old stall. His name plaque hung under hers. The horse whinnied as Link grabbed the saddle and gear.

Soon, they were off to the Forest. 

Link left Druid at the entrance of the Forest. It was difficult to make way through there, and Link did not want to hurt his horse. He dismounted and grabbed a torch before running into the dark forest.