LV: Eternal Promises

After Ganon's Defeat

Link's POV:

She looked so beautiful.

Silent princesses were woven into her dress, just like she wanted. Her hair fell over her shoulder in a luxurious braid with wildflowers intelligently placed in her glowing blonde hair. The cloth of her dress hugged her waist and her vail gently swayed across her porcelain face with every step she took. With Paya and Purah at her sides to hold her up, the queen struggled to walk down the aisle. It pained me to see her this way, but it took weight off my heart to know this is what she wanted. To walk down the aisle, she said. She just wanted to walk down the aisle. As sad as it was, Zelda's beauty was short of its former glory. Her sickness waned on her in every aspect, but despite that, she was still the most beautiful woman in Hyrule to me. Nobody could compare to even half of Zelda's beauty. Not even the goddess herself.

The queen slowly drew closer to me and I could not contain my emotion. I quickly wiped a tear from my eye, hoping nobody noticed. Zelda smiled weakly at me as Paya and Purah brought her up to me. A tree stump was placed next to me for her to sit on once she walked. Zelda sat down softly and looked up at me, her eyes twinkling.

I looked up to the Great Deku Tree. The bark around his mouth was curved into a smile as he watched us. My cheeks were red and hot. There were few people at our wedding- Zelda wanted it to be secluded. Impa was there, but she sent Paya to help the princess because she had strength from her youth. A few Sheikah warriors, Riju, Teba, Sidon, and Yunobo were there. They reminded Zelda of the Champions who she cared for so dearly, and she wanted them to be there in spirit at her wedding. She always cherished the day where her father would walk her down the aisle, but that proved to be impossible. Still, she believed his spirit was there, watching over her. Koroks occasionally peeked out of the trees to watch, and flower petals danced through the air around us.

"We are gathered here," the Great Deku Tree began, "to formalize and celebrate the union of Zelda, Queen of Hyrule, and Link, the Hero of Hyrule, in royal matrimony. In your journeys together a century ago, you found that love is hidden in places unexpected. A love 100 years in the making, Queen Zelda has chosen to change the royal code and marry a knight. And, please allow me to say, I could not be more proud of the both of you. You may say your vows."

I gulped and reached out my hands to grab hers. I looked in her eyes momentarily and found my reassurance.

"Zelda," I began, "how lucky I am. How beautifully, truly lucky. Protecting you has been the biggest honor ever given to me, and just as I did back then, I vow to protect you for as long as we both shall live. Forever with you will never be enough time, but even one day loving you will provide me with enough joy and peace to last the rest of my life. I promise to be there when you need me. I promise that I will love you with every fiber of my being for the rest of my life. To you, and you alone, I love you. I always have, and I always will."

Zelda looked down, a deep blush crossing her face. She put her hands up and rested her head in them for a moment before asking me a question.

"Can you hold me up, please?" she whispered. "I want to say this to your face. I don't want you to have to look down on me."

I smiled and nodded before reaching down and hoisting her up. With one arm around her waist and one on her upper back, she looked directly into my eyes with her arms wrapped around my neck, clinging to me for support.

"From the moment I first saw you," Zelda said with a sad smile on her face, "I could not conceal how you truly made me feel. Protected, honored, respected... You really took me by surprise. I could not be hostile with you for long. You melted my heart, Link. My protector, my adventure companion, really the only true friend I've ever had. Hylia blessed me when she sent you into my life. I promise that-" Zelda paused. Her voice shook slightly. "I could go on and... say a lot of things but... you know. You already know. I never thought I would be able to love someone as much as I do you. I..." her voice trailed off and became so quiet that only I could hear it. "I love you so much, Link," she whispered.