Chapter Two: The Choice

Walking into work and not knowing whether or not she would be walking out in a matter of minutes was a terrifying experience. She was sure everybody had heard about how she totally messed up yesterday, but she tried not to let the spurts of laughter and amused eyes bother her. She walked up to Ezra's office, scared of her fate. 

He looked up when she walked. Aria couldn't read his face. "Have a seat," He said, his eyes not leaving her face. "So...I thought a lot about this last night, and I have made my decision," Ezra said calmly. Aria sucked a deep breath in. "I have decided that you need some time to properly adjust to this job, and I will be TEMPORARILY be pulling you out of the job, effective immediately," He said. Aria was confused. "What are you saying?" Aria asked. Ezra smiled. "Ms. Montgomery, I'm saying that I believe that you can be a wonderful assistant, with some conditioning. So, you will be the front desk's assistant until the end of the week. Do well there, and this job is yours. Fail, and you will be looking for a new internship," He explained. Aria nodded enthusiastically. "Thank you, thank you! Ok, I'll get to work right away!" She exclaimed. 

The week passed by relatively quick, or at least quicker than Aria had expected. The front desk lady took a liking to Aria, and vice versa. As Aria was packing up, the desk lady walked in. "Aria...I want to let you know something," She said. Aria perked up. "Yes?" She asked. "Mr. Fitz, he...well just go easy on him, ok?" The desk lady said. Aria nodded hesitantly. "Ok...I will," She said. 

She knocked softly on Ezra's door. "Come in," A loud chirpy voice said. She opened the door to find a slim brunette, not much older than she was, standing behind Ezra's desk. Aria looked at her, perplexed. "Um, where is Mr. Fitz?" Aria asked the girl. The woman smiled condescendingly. "You must be the intern! I heard about you, Ezra is such a talker," the woman said. Aria's eyes went wide. Was this his wife?! She was beautiful! "I'm Melissa, but you may call me Ms. Hastings," The woman said. So not his wife. Aria nodded, getting annoyed with this girl. "Where is Mr. Fitz?" she asked. "Oh yes, he's out running a couple of errands, he'll be back in a few hours. Until then, I will be filling in for him," she explained. Aria mentally sighed. Great. 

Those next few hours were torture! This woman had her bringing her coffee, getting her food, and even giving her a massage! She was surprised how relieved she was when Ezra came back, except he looked angry. "what are YOU doing here?" He accused. Melissa laughed. "Oh, she was just on her way to get me coffee, don't worry about her, take a seat," she said. Ezra shook his head. "I'm talking about you Melissa. Get the hell out of my office!" Ezra shouted. Melissa tutted and shook her head. "Ezra, you're going to have to forgive me at some point. It's unprofessional not to," Melissa said. "No, what's unprofessional is you sleeping with my business partner when we were engaged," Ezra said. Melissa laughed. "Oh and Liam is doing wonderful by the way, we're using a lot of the same things that were going to be at you and I's wedding for our own wedding, I am such a good planner," Melissa said dreamily. 

Aria cleared her throat, causing Melissa and Ezra to look over at her. "What are you still doing here?" Aria asked. Melissa looked extremely offended. "EXCUSE ME?!" She asked. "He told you to leave, you should really get out," Aria said with a confidence she didn't know she had. Melissa scoffed. "It's none of your business bitch!" Melissa exclaimed. Aria did NOT want to cry, so she stood up straighter. "I worked for you for three hours, and I can see why Mr. Fitz doesn't want you here. And, you're embarrassing yourself. Please, get out," Aria finished. Ezra smiled widely at Aria, then he turned back to Melissa. "You heard the woman, get out," He said. Melissa scoffed in disgust and got up, as she was headed for the door, she turned around and grinned deviously at Aria. "You know, I hope you are enjoying yourself, after all, he is wonderful in bed, isn't he?" She grinned again and walked out. 

Ezra put his head in his hands. "I am so sorry, let me make it up to you please. Go out to dinner with me," Ezra said. Aria was dumbfounded. "Are you asking me out?" She asked, still in shock. He looked both amused and apologetic. "No, I'm trying to make up for the fact that my ex-fiancee just completely made this inappropriate," Ezra said. Aria nodded, embarrassed. "Yeah, of course," She said. Ezra nodded, and she smiled. He looked at her. 'What?" He asked, perplexed. "Words make the world go round Mr. Fitz," Aria said. He laughed. "I suppose I need to practice what I preach don't I?" he said. Aria laughed. "I suppose so."