Chapter One: It Began

Today was a special day for Aria, it marked the first day at her internship for Fitz Publishing Co., and she was beyond excited. She'd heard scary things about the CEO, but she wasn't that worried. After all, she'd survived High School. The second she stepped into that building she felt underdressed. Her jeans and blouse didn't even begin to compare to the pencil dresses and the pantsuits that it seemed every other woman was wearing. She found the front desk and walked over to sign in, hopefully taking some eyes off of her in the process. The lady gave her some paperwork and told her she'd be starting off as an assistant intern for the CEO Mr. Ezra Fitz. Her eyes went wide. She thought she would be organizing books, not organizing important meetings for the CEO! "Are you sure?" Aria asked. The desk lady nodded, getting a little annoyed with her. Not wanting to peeve her off any more, she walked to the room the lady had given her the directions to.

After ten flights of stairs, she found herself at the top floor with a big burgundy door in front of her. She cringed as she realized what room this door must go to. The CEO's office. She knocked meekly. "Come in," A low voice said from inside. Aria entered the room, and marveled the amazing architecture of the place. All glass, and white minimalist seating. She loved it. A man cleared his throat and he looked over. She almost has to catch herself. He was stunning. He had beautiful blue eyes and brown hair that looked very professional, and the suit he was wearing fit him perfectly. He looked as if he was giving Aria a minute to ogle before he expected her to speak. Once she realized she had been staring, she blinked a couple of times and looked away.

"I am Mr. Ezra Fitz, CEO of Fitz Publishing Company and your new boss. Full name please," He said, barely looking her over as he said this. "A-Aria Montgomery," She cringed at her stutter, but he seemed amused. "Hello Ms. Montgomery. You're the new assistant intern correct?" He asked. She nodded. "Words make the world go round Ms. Montgomery, and I expect to hear them every time I ask you a question, is that understood?" He asked, his loud and clear voice mesmerizing Aria. She nodded. His frown went away. "Good," He said. "You'll most likely be working harder than you ever have before, I will work you to your breaking point. If you cannot handle this leave now, because I can't afford to lose another assistant halfway through the year. And please, make sure to use words this time."

That intimidated Aria. He had lost assistants?! "Yes sir," She said, a lot more clearly than before. He nodded. "Your office is through that door," He pointed to a door on the right wall of his office. "DON'T upset me, disrespect me or in any way inconvenience me, do I make myself clear?" He asked. "yes sir," Aria said, a little bit of annoyance in her voice.Talk about an ego, this guy was acting like he owned the world or something. He again looked amused. "Ms. Montgomery, I am a very strict man and I don't have time for other people's feelings. I hope you understand that I will be of very little comfort to you," He said. Aria took a deep breath. This guy was crazy! Before she knew it, it had come out. "I can comfort myself, thank you for the warning though." "Get to work," He said through gritted teeth. "Yes sir," Aria mumbled under her breath.

The day had almost come to an end when she received a pager from Mr. Fitz. She went into his office to find a very attractive woman sitting on the other side of his desk. Ezra didn't even look up at her. "Montgomery, fetch the papers from the copy room," He said. Aria just stood there, awestruck. This time he looked up, clearly annoyed. "Do you need some type of aid?" He said venomously. Aria shook her head, which made him really angry. "I told you to use your words. Go get them now," He snarled. Aria bowed her head. "Yes sir," She said, running to the copy room to get the papers.

She brought them back in what she thought to be record time. He looked them over and nodded. Aria was absolutely dumbfounded. "You're welcome," She said under her breath, turning to go back to her office, she heard Ezra say, just loud enough, "I hear everything." She quickly walked back into her office, but listened in on their conversation. "I told you, everything will be in order Jackie," He said to her. The casual name coming out of his mouth sounded odd, but Aria continued to listen in. "With a place run like this, I don't know if I can trust that. Even your assistant is an idiot!" She exclaimed in a quiet, smooth voice. "She's an intern, and it's her first day. I assure you, once I have a chat with her, she will be perfectly in order," Ezra said. Aria's heart dropped into her stomach. He was going to have a 'chat' with her. "Ezra, I can only partner with exceedingly incredible publishing companies, and if that's not what you are by tomorrow, I will be taking my business elsewhere. Good day," Jackie said, standing up and walking out. 

Ezra rubbed his temples, then looked up and at Aria's door. She immediately jumped away from the crack in the door she had been watching through. "Montgomery, get out here now," He paged her. Aria knew what was coming. She stepped out of the office, to see Ezra leaning against his desk, looking angry and tired. "Do you have any idea what you just did?" Ezra asked quietly. "It won't happen again," Aria said with uncertainty. "You almost cost me a multi billion dollar deal, all because you can't follow simple orders correctly the first time, and your attitude is not that of an assistant working in a professional office! I should fire you!" He yelled, making Aria cringe away. He put his hands up. "It is clear to me that you are not ready for this job, but it is also clear to me that you need it. I need more time to think this through. Go home and work on finding something more appropriate to wear tomorrow, it is then that I will let you know whether or not you'll be keeping this job," Ezra said. And with the wave of his hand, he sat back down and continued working. Aria walked out of the room. 

Once she got home, she immediately collapsed onto the couch. Who the hell did he think he was?! Instantly, as if she was able to sense Aria coming in, Hanna appeared next to the couch, startling Aria. "Jesus Han!" Aria exclaimed, but Hanna just had a concerned look on her face. "How bad was it? How bad was he?" Hanna said, whispering as if he was in the room. "He's an egotistical jerk," Aria said loudly, trying to get some of her dignity back. Hanna's eyes were sad. "I'm sorry, I really wanted the internship to be a good experience for you," Hanna said. Aria shook her head and laughed. "See that?" Aria asked. Hanna gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?" she asked. "Exactly! I'm not allowed to nod or shake my head around him, he says that the lack of words bothers him or something," Aria said. Hanna rolled her eyes. "God, that's so stupid!" She exclaimed. Aria nodded, but suddenly her eyes got sad. "He says he needs to think over whether or not I get to keep the job," She said. Hanna's eyes got wide. "What?! He has to let you keep it!" She said. Aria laughed at her exasperation. "Relax Han, part of me doesn't even think it's worth it, he's almost too much to handle," Aria said, Hanna noticing the tiredness behind her words. Hanna put a hand on Aria's shoulder. "Hey, it's gonna be ok. Just march in there tomorrow and face it head on," Hanna said. Aria knew she was right. Face it head on. Face it head on...