竹子 (Bamboo): 五 Part 2

Start from the beginning

Rather than start his search immediately, Zhulin slowly raised a hand to Ruomei's shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

"Whatever happens, you did your best," he said quietly. All too soon, his hand was gone, and Ruomei's shoulder felt cold in its absence as she watched Zhulin walk away. She knew he had meant well, to try to warn her, and she hadn't meant to be so mean – she only hoped that he understood.

They began their search in relative silence, each of them rustling through bushes and under leaves as they searched for the herbs in question. Finally, they both were able to find a patch of elderflowers, and Zhulin even discovered a small bunch of catnip.

"Here," he said, adding the herb to Ruomei's basket. "This should be enough."

Ruomei was interrupted before she could thank him, or apologize for her earlier outburst.

"Zhulin!"

Chenguang came crashing through the bushes, coming to a stop in front of Ruomei and the Demon lord. Zhulin stepped forward, a concerned frown across his brow.

"Chenguang? Is everything all right?" he asked.

"She's – " Chenguang let out a tired breath. "Lady Bingling – she's found out you've been coming here," she finally managed in a rush.

"The heart?" Zhulin asked.

Chenguang shook her head. "Still secure."

Zhulin exhaled, short and fast. "I'll be right there. Stay here and help Ruomei with things in the village."

She shook her head. "No – I'm coming with you."

"You are not. We need you here."

"That's not true! They have things handled." Chenguang looked to Ruomei for confirmation. "Right?"

Ruomei was torn. "I – Zhulin, if you're sure you're okay...?" She vaguely remembered the name of the lady Chenguang had mentioned, and from Zhulin's earlier comments to the Heavenly Lord, the woman had sounded like a force to be reckoned with.

"I –"

"She's challenging your legitimacy to rule, Zhulin," Chenguang said. "You need everyone you can have there to support you in this."

Ruomei's eyes widened. Perhaps she had been too harsh in judging Zhulin for his frequent trips to the Demon Realm.

"Why?" Ruomei asked. "What does Lady Bingling have against you ruling the Demon Realm?"

"Nothing, except the power he has because of it," Chenguang said.

Ruomei turned to Zhulin for an explanation. "Power?"

He sighed. "It's a long story."

Ruomei continued to look at him hopefully, just a hint of a pout on her lips.

"All right, fine." He waved a hand in a bid for her to stop. "Ever since the Heart of Ice was created by the last great water dragon, it's posed a danger to the six realms," he explained. "Your teacher, Lisong, was actually tasked to bring it out of the East Sea and seal it away where no one could use it for harm."

"Lisong?" Ruomei frowned. "Why him?"

"He's one of the most powerful High Immortals," Chenguang interjected. "If anyone can deal with a powerful artifact, it's him."

Ruomei's mouth opened in a silent "oh", wondering why Lisong had never mentioned it. Zhulin continued.

"Bingling was in the Heavenly Realm at the time," he said. "And when she learned about the Heart of Ice, she grew curious and wanted to experience its powers for herself."

"Ooh, I wish I could've seen it," Chenguang said, with an almost-satisfied grin on her face.

Ruomei frowned. "I assume it didn't go well?"

Zhulin shrugged, seemingly indifferent. "By some accounts, she was knocked back over thirty feet."

Ruomei lifted a hand to cover her mouth, unsure of whether to gasp or laugh at the mental image as Zhulin elaborated. "Some say it even froze her soul. At any rate, she wasn't powerful enough to wield it, and Lisong managed to lock it up in the Netherworld, though it came at a price – the artifact's power weakened him, and he had to spend time in the Mortal Realm."

Ruomei clutched her basket of herbs tighter. "And what happened to Bingling?"

"She took the opportunity of Lisong's absence to start amassing enough power to handle the artifact," he replied, weariness slumping his shoulders. "When she moved to the Demon Realm soon after, I had my soldiers follow her movements. She only disputes my power because if I slip up at all and am unable to defend my ability to rule, it's an easy power grab for her."

"But what if something happens to you?" Ruomei asked.

"Oh, well she's sent her assassins several times already," Chenguang said, not sounding too concerned. "But they're never as effective as a hearing at the palace in front of the officials. Besides, Zhulin's already declared that if he ever goes missing, I'm to take control of the throne until he comes back."

"You'd both better go, then," Ruomei urged. "I don't want to imagine what Bingling would do if she is ever powerful enough to use the Heart of Ice."

Zhulin looked grim. "Thank you, though I'm afraid it's only a matter of time. If she's unable to take over the Demon Throne, it just means she'll be delayed in achieving her goal."

"If only the Heavenly Lord would listen," Chenguang growled.

"I could talk to my teacher – see if he could do anything..." Ruomei began.

"I'm pretty sure that would only make things worse," Zhulin said with a shake of his head. "But thank you for offering."

Ruomei frowned. "How would it make things worse?"

"They know each other, or used to," Chenguang said. "She was once his student – and they were lovers."