"But still. That's huge. What happened exactly? You have to give me some context!" Shweta says, and she can hear Shruti laugh on the other side.

"Well, it was an ordinary day. I had planned to stay over at his place that day. It was late afternoon and we were in bed." Shruti manages before Shweta cuts her off to add with a teasing tone, "You were in bed, huh?"

"Shut up." Shruti admonishes her and launches into her story once again. "But we were in bed. The curtains were shut but the sunlight was pouring in; he had very light curtains. The sunlight was actually sexy; kind of like the golden hour selfies that Instagram is filled with. And he suddenly so serious and says, 'Shruti, I can't imagine my life without you'. And I'm like 'Dude, what the fuck?' because hello, commitment issues. But he goes, "I'm serious" and I'm borderline about to bail, you know. Make an excuse and get out of there because who says shit like that after sex?" -Shweta coughs not so discreetly but Shruti ignores her-

"I'm twenty-four, not thirty-four, you know. But then he takes my hand and says, 'I know you're freaking out at this. But I want you to know. You don't have to say anything right now. Just wanted you to know.' And I kid you not, he pulled out an actual ring. A fucking ring that he bought with the profits his start-up has been making. 'This is for you to keep. It's you and I know it. And I'll put it on your finger when you're ready." Shruti pauses for breath.

Shweta can hardly wait for her to start speaking again. "Then? What did you say after that?"

"I asked him how he knew we wouldn't break up and I wouldn't sell the ring." Shruti says and Shweta snorts, "Typical. What did he say then?"

"He laughed. And said that girls who sold rings didn't go around saying they would." Shruti says. "And as for breaking up, I could go and dye my hair all shades of the rainbow but he'd still want me as his bride."

"Fuck." Shweta says, tearing up a bit at that. "That's romantic."

"I know." Shruti breathes dreamily.

Then it crashes against Shweta. The staggering contrast between her love life and Shruti's. Before she can help it, she lets out a little sigh. This does not escape Shruti who asks, "Everything alright with your little boyfriend?"

"Yes, yes," Shweta says, hastily. What if there was nothing wrong and she was simply overthinking everything? But she adds sarcastically, "Not all of us are walking into a fairy-tale marriage."

"Twenty-one, honey and already thinking about marriage?" Shruti asks drily, "Not speaking like Seema's daughter, tsk tsk."

"That's not what I meant. But leave that. Did you accept the ring?" Shweta says, changing the topic not wanting to talk about the restless thoughts in her mind.

"I did. But don't tell maa!" Shruti says and Shweta can sense the worry in her sister's words.

"Of course not. But Shruti, you're almost engaged." Shweta squeals and Shruti shushes her forcefully. "Quiet, please. And it's not an engagement ring- at least not right away. There's no saying what might happen next. Besides, I'm coming home next week."

"That's great. It does get a bit tedious in the afternoon. You know maa is off at the hospital and I have nothing to do to pass the time. Also, it's the end of your program as well, isn't it? And what was it that you said about going to Belgium?" Shweta asks, remembering one of the bombshells Shruti had dropped on her early in the morning.

"Oh, you know. With all the campus recruitment and all. One of the recruiters was speaking to me after the session was over and he said that I could have a genuine shot working abroad. He gave me a bunch of places to apply to and I'd applied in fluke. But I actually got in some of them and since the actual process takes about a year, I'm still waiting. But with any luck, I might be in Belgium next year right now." Shruti says.