september 23, 2021, 5:30pm

I walked into the new Target in town and immediately sensed that the vibes were off. I assumed it was just because it was brand new and they hadn't finished it yet – the tiling on the floor was incomplete and their stock hadn't fully arrived. It was the size of a warehouse without much merchandise in it yet. I talked to an employee and confirmed with her that yes, they were open. She told me that the checkout was downstairs. I took a peek over the edge to the bottom floor and saw only a dark, dusty concrete floor. I looked around for a bit and grabbed some candy and some cheese, then I got in line. The line was at the top of the staircase, and as soon as I stepped into the line the whole thing changed. The metal guardrail was now a polished wooden banister, and the broken escalator was a matching hardwood staircase.

My manager was going through the line checking in with everybody ensuring that they really belonged in the new Target and ushering away anyone he deemed unfit. The guys in front of me in line were about my age and about a foot taller than me, and they glared down at me which scared me, but then I made a joke and they were suddenly really nice and friendly. We talked for a while as the line moved really slowly. I finally got to the top of the stairs and saw that there was no one on the stairs — the line was just leading to them. But then I set one foot on the stairs and immediately slipped. I went tumbling down the stairs, hitting my head and yelling, and the guys in line next to me were still at the top of the staircase laughing.

I hit the floor at the bottom and discovered I was in some fancy mansion in the middle of a house party. I looked to my right and saw a bunch of well-dressed old people sipping champagne. My vision was spotty as I lay there on the ground next to the fireplace. I tried to get up and winced in pain, because instantly there was a weight on top of me. I opened my eyes and saw a very pretty girl holding me down. She smiled at me and said, "That was quite a fall. I wouldn't try to stand if I was you." And I tried to get up anyway, so she tightened her grip on my wrists holding me down and put a knee on my stomach to use even more weight to pin me to the floor. I couldn't move or speak or do anything. All I could do was look at the mantle above the fireplace, the dinner party off to my right, or the pretty girl holding me to the floor. I was struggling to breathe from all the weight on my chest, and then I was saved by my roommate waking me up and asking me to go to the grocery store.