september 18, 2021, 6:34am

I replied to some askreddit post that said something along the lines of "what do you feel most guilty for?" I responded and told the story of accidentally killing a friend's pet hamster as a child and still feeling guilty years later. It was nice to get it off my chest and everything was fine until I noticed a girl in a long white nightgown staring at me. I got weirded out and started moving around. I was in a big square around a fountain on a college campus. The pavement tiles made a big star shape in the middle with another colour of tiles all the way around the border.

I was walking around the space tracing the outline of the star on PhotoShop on my phone when I noticed the girl again. She was following me from a distance and staring right at me so I decided I needed to leave. I booked it across a field and immediately she was running after me. I panicked and tried to run faster but she was gaining on me by the second. She caught up to me and was about ten feet behind me when she started yelling. She told me, "I saw what you said. I'm part of a group that can help erase your guilt. We can make everything better for you, like you'd never done anything wrong at all!" That sounded culty so I tried to keep going and outrun her despite how fast she was. I decided if I couldn't lose her with speed, I'd just lose her between buildings on campus. I could see the buildings now; I was almost to the end of the field, and when I got to the buildings I did manage to hide in one of them. It somehow had a tunnel connecting it to my dorm room and when I got back to my room, my roommate was staring out the window.

She said, "There's some crackhead in the courtyard running around and screaming." I knew who it was without even needing to check. I went online and posted an urgent message titled "help! i think i'm being followed by a cult member" and the body text explained my situation and everything she said to me. I got a response that said "it sounds like you met one of the black eyed people. they're one of the largest cults in the country" followed by a bunch of comments telling me "just let them help you become happy". I was shocked to realise that these people were everywhere. There was no way for me to hide from them.

So I went back out to the courtyard and found the girl at the fountain. She was standing there soaking wet for some reason, so her hair was stuck to her face and she was just swaying side to side next to the fountain. I don't think she could have seen me with all the hair in her eyes but as soon as I got close to her she greeted me by name and asked if I was ready to begin my guilt-free life. I gave in and said yes and woke up.