CHAPTER 3: PART 6 - Down Into The Darkness

The Voice Of Norman Polk

Now I'm not lookin' for trouble. 

It's just the nature of us projectionists to seek out the dark places.

You see, I've learned the ins and outs of this here studio. I know how to avoid being bothered by the likes of this... company.

"That projectionist", they always say, 

"creeping around, he's just lookin' for trouble."

Well trouble or not, I see everything. They don't even know when I'm watchin'.

Even when I'm right behind 'em.

--------------------------------------------------------

Many, many  tedious tasks later, Henry only had two more to go. He returned the axe to the box, then the intercoms buzzed to life, the voice sounding more frantic than before.

"Those filthy, soulless creatures have wandered my halls and have gone unchecked! They want to drag me back into the darkness! 

Don't let them take your angel! 

PURGE THEM! 

SMASH THEM INTO PUDDLES! 

KILL THEM!" 

Almost instantly, hordes of the Devil Gang creatures came swarming towards the steel doors, making awful sounds. One by one, Henry smacked the creatures with his pipe, melting them into puddles, until only one was left. 

He hit the Imp until it dissolved into nothing, then only silence filled the room.

"Ah...the silence...so peaceful. Like a grave." The voice seemed to enjoy the eerie silence,but it put Henry on edge. 

"I hate leaving work unfinished! But thankfully, I have you to pick up the pieces, errand boy..."

-NEW OBJECTIVE: COLLECT 5 INK HEARTS

Henry wiped a bit of the black 'blood' off of his face, and pressed the "14" button.

Barley gave Henry an uneasy glance, then looked away quickly. 

The intercoms buzzed to life, the voice flowing from the speakers. 

"Can you hear me in that little cage of yours, sailor? Tell me, do you miss him?" 

The tone switched to a gentle, somber one. 

"I want you to miss me..I want to not just be a memory of yours..."

Henry looked over at the sailor toon. 

He looked like he was processing Edgar's words, a tiny hint of grey blooming in his face. He blinked his eyes a bit, then looked over at Henry. "Oh, need something?" 

"Ah- No, not at all, bud."

The elevator came to a halt. Henry stepped out into the gloomy, ink-flooded area, then noticed a flicker of light in the dark halls. 

"Shh....there's the Projectionist...Stay out of his light," The voice warned him, "Lord knows what would happen if he finds you..." 

Henry trudged through the ink, and made his way to the labyrinth of halls.

The halls were dark, with corpses of Devil Gang members occasionally laying somewhere in the ink. 

Henry stared at a Herald's small body, hollow and empty. 

"Did they deserve this?" Henry wondered. Sure, he didn't make them, but he still felt something when he saw them...

He gently pried the heart from her lifeless hand, then left to search for more.

A few minutes later, he had four hearts in his hands. He searched around in the maze, trying to find one more. 

A flicker of light came from one side of the hall, and Henry froze up, like a deer in the headlights. 

He slowly turned around, and found himself face-to-face with the Projectionist himself.

The creature was tall, with ink covering his entire body. Wires hung from his head, which appeared to be a projector, hence his name. A speaker was lodged in the tall figure's chest. 

He screeched at Henry, the loud wail hurting his ears. 

"NO! NO WA- WAIT- HEY!"  Henry tried to communicate with the Projectionist. 

Trying to maintain "eye"contact, Henry slowly stood up. The creature slowly tilted his head in confusion. 

"Hey, hey uh...don't- Don't hurt me, I'm not gonna hurt you, bud." He slowly reached towards the monster's head, and he bent towards him, allowing Henry to put a hand to his "head". He made a quiet, garbled noise, as Henry tried to calm the creature.

"NOR...MAN..." The Projectionist hissed out from his speaker. 

"Henry...I'm Henry...Hen-ry. Hello, Norman." 

Norman slowly stood back up, then grabbed a heart from the Brute corpse that was nearby. "HERE." He placed it in Henry's hands, then trudged back off into the darkness.

Henry tried to process the events that occurred for a second, then stood back up, and went back to the lift.

As the elevator moved, Henry tried not to stare at the hearts he had just collected. They made his stomach churn..he was always squeamish about guts and gore.

He shoved the hearts into the box, and the speakers fizzled to life once more.

"Tell me, were they still writhing in your hands?"

"Ugh, please...I don't wanna think about that.." He mumbled, swallowing bile that was in his throat.

"Return to the lift, errand boy." The voice beckoned. "I have a gift for you."

-

-

"Tell me, errand boy. Have you ever wondered what Heaven is like?" The voice asked Henry, as he stood in the lift. 

"I love to imagine that it's soft...and warm...

Come now, errand boy, Heaven awaits." The voice began to giggle, then turned it into a cackle. 

A cord could be heard breaking, and Henry and Barley felt the lift violently drop. 

"AHAHHAA! DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT I WOULD LET YOU LEAVE WITH SOMETHING THAT'S MINE? 

DID YOU THINK THAT I WOULD LET YOU GO SO EASILY? 

I KNOW WHO YOU REALLY  ARE, HENRY.

 I KNOW WHY YOU'RE HERE! 

GIVE ME BACK MY BARLEY! 

OR BETTER YET, I'LL TAKE HIM! 

ONCE....YOU'RE....DEAD!"

The lift crashed, and everything went dark.

-

-

-

-

"H--ry---H--RY!"

-

-

Henry opened his eyelids weakly. Everything hurt so much, it was so blurry. 

Barley was shaking him, trying to wake him up. He was panicking, yelling at him. 

He saw Edgar creeping up behind him, holding a wrench. Henry tried to call out to Barley, but it felt like his throat was being crushed.

He heard metal slam against a surface, and Barley was dragged away. 

Everything faded to darkness.

Charley And The Swap Machine (BATIM AU FIC!)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara