Observer Tales :The Levant Chapter 1

Hey guys, well this is my story, pls vote and comment if it is any good, and please tell me if the text randomaly ends on the wattpad app for phones ,thanx :)

Chapter 1

The sun was setting, sending orange and blood red rays across the battle field. I was unsure of whether the battle would stop for the night. The full moon illuminated the night sky allowing the battle to be fought the past few nights. The sides were matched evenly, meaning the outcome of the war was unpredictable, however we all expected the good side to win... Except for the analysts, they had assured us that something terrible would happen, changing the future of all existence. So I sat where I was told, watching and waiting to witness the occurrence of this big, awful scene.

Tonight, I was stationed at the white camp. Foreign defenders of righteousness buzzed around their camp preparing for war or returning from it. Their camp was strong, situated on a hill outside of the battle zone. More and more soldiers arrived every week to replace the ones that were injured or had perished. The sun had set and they realised the moon would not provide enough light. Both sides retreated slowly. Some lingered, piling the deceased into heaps and setting them alight. Soon they were gone too. I watched the heaps blaze from my perch, red, orange and yellow flames creating a contrast to the dark night. I found myself imagining the smell of death and the crackling sound of the bodies being burnt. Immediately, I felt shivers running up my spine.

“A war zone is no place to be for a lady.”  A man pulled up next to me on a white steed. He dropped to the ground and sat next to me, removing his helmet allowing me to see who he was.

“Xavier,” his name travelled on my breath. The warrior ran his fingers through his hair. He looked tired.

“It was a terrible battle today, any significant people die on your watch?” I asked, my tone harsher than I expected. It always was when I spoke to Xavier, I wished I didn’t have to act so mean to him.

“None, you know that.” He winked at me, “I’m the best protector and don’t you ever forget that,” he said with a smug grin on his face. ‘Oh Xavier the noblest protector of heroes, the best disrupter of natural occurrences there is,’ I recalled hearing. My thoughts obviously reflected in my facial expression, causing the stupid angel to smile even wider. It was the likes of him that made my job more difficult. I often found myself subconsciously searching for him on the battlefield. Every time I caught a glimpse of him beginning attacked, an uncontrollable amount of anxiety and fear consumed me. His voice pulled me out of my stupor.

“I saved the king,” he whispered, his grin vanishing. I understood. He had saved the king but that did not mean the king was unharmed.  In reality he was badly wounded, compelling the other soldiers to doubt his recovery. I knew it was coming, and I had started preparing myself for a bad ending, but Xavier believed the king would survive. Something told me he hoped this would be his last war as a fallen angel.  I couldn’t help questioning his belief that he had done enough to redeem himself. However, I didn’t have the heart or the permission to dash his hopes. Heck, I wasn’t even allowed to tell him anything to do with my work. Yet, he trusted me enough to confide in me about all his beliefs.

 I watched Xavier as he looked at the make-shift funeral pyres. We sat there for a while until I saw his neck muscles flex; he turned to me, his eyes filled with rage.

“Would you stop that!”he yelled, his words as menacing as his physical appearance. “Stop watching me! Stop making me part of your job! You can’t include me in your report so why do you always watch me.” He got up and mounted his horse. He rode away without a backwards glance.

“Because I care about you.” I whispered, my words floating towards him on the breeze. Still he would never hear them. I would never be allowed to let him hear the truth.

I returned to the camp, finding Mihael, Xavier’s fellow angel, in the centre of the camp sitting by the fire. The warm light from the flames making the dark smears on his skin look like crude oil. Noticing my presence, he got up and moved into a tent, I trailed behind him.

I was no stranger to Mihael; we had conversed many times especially when Xavier was around. Mihael could sense my care for Xavier, even though he did not admit to it. I entered the tent, the light coming from a candle stub was dim but enough. I sat down on the skins laid on the floor, the makings of someone’s bed.

“It wasn’t a good day for us” Mihael’s face was grim as he spoke, making me feel a trace of regret.

“I know, I saw.” I said, “That is the reason I wanted to talk to you.” I looked at his face to see if he was listening, carrying on once my eyes locked with his. “There are matters I would like to observe on this side, but I must move to the other side because of what happened today. I cannot miss seeing the plans that will be made.” I waited for his reaction. He nodded acknowledging the fact that he understood.

“I trust you will return soon. We are expecting more warriors both holy and human to arrive soon, and hopefully it will put us at the advantage. I will watch him for you though, while you’re away,” he said, a hint of amusement evident in his eyes. I looked at him shocked, wondering how he could be so open out loud. Any one of my colleagues could have overheard, as they were eaves-dropping. He saw my expression and chuckled. “I’m sorry,” he winked at me, “it won’t happen again, now go you are wasting time.” 

With one last stern look I left him in the tent, walking fast with me head held low, hoping that I was not seen.

As I reached the outskirts of town, I searched for the rock pile where I had hidden my provisions. Once found, I loaded them onto my back and pulled my scarf over my head, making my way over the hill further and further away from their camp. When I reached the battle field, I started making my way through the pyres. The smell of burnt flesh swirled around me causing the back of my throat to burn as I inhaled the acrid smell. The smell overpowered all my senses, as my eyes began to water and my ears began to ring. I quickly covered my face with my scarf exposing only my eyes, as I quickly rushed on. However, I knew that the smell would linger in my nose for days.