Chapter 1

Elias' POV

"I can't believe you're turning 18 tomorrow," Silas tells me as he drives us to school, while Fireside by Arctic Monkeys plays in the background.

"Neither," I respond. "How does it feel knowing I'm turning 18 before you loser," I snicker to my best friend.

"Ha-ha you're still my baby bro either way," Silas fakes laughs. "I'm still your Alpha despite age, Beta."

"Sure sure whatever you say," I roll my eyes, making Silas chuckle. Despite being a few weeks older than him, Silas still likes to believe he's the oldest for as long as I've known him.

"But seriously though," Silas turns to look at me, "aren't you excited to meet your mate." He asks me.

I've never really thought of it if I'm honest. Of course, I am happy to finally meet the person I would spend the rest of my life with. I just hoped my mate would already be in our pack as I am the current second beta of the Sage Moon pack.

I was appointed Silas' Beta half a year ago when Silas was appointed second Alpha alongside his father when he turned 17.

I always knew I would be appointed Silas' Beta as I had been best friends with Silas my whole life, we even live together. Nothing could stand in the way of our bond and I knew life as his beta is the life for me.

Silas looks over at me with a worried expression when I remember I still hadn't answered him. "Yeah, I guess I am excited. Although I'm not guaranteed to meet her right away."

Not every wolf meets their mate at 18, some don't meet them at all. I'm afraid I may not even have a mate. Although I guess that may be a good thing so I can be loyal to my Alpha without distraction.

Tobias - hey, talk for yourself. I want to meet my mate despite being Beta to Tristan.

Sorry, Tobias. Of course, I want to meet our mate. I respond to my wolf, Tobias. Tobias has been with me for as long as I can remember. People say that we get our wolves when we turn three years old. They are pretty much an extension of ourselves and can take control whenever we choose.

"Don't worry Elias. You'll meet them soon, I bet." Silas responds confidently. "If anyone deserves a mate, it's you," he smiles at me, to which I respond with a small smile of my own.

"Your 18th birthday is not far off either, are you excited to meet your mate?" I ask Silas curiously.

Silas thinks for a moment before answering, "yeah I think so," he begins. "Its kind of scary to think about, the fact that there is someone out there perfect for you in every way, and your destined to be together forever."

I nod in agreement, "yeah it's pretty scary."

Unfortunately, not everyone gets the chance to meet their mate. Sometimes one half will pass away before mates are destined to meet, or sometimes they just never meet at all.

Then there's the rare occurrence, where one or both mates will reject their other half, leaving both broken forever.

I shake my head trying to get the thought out of my head. It was looked down heavily to reject a mate, we should never question our fate. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Silas pulls into the school parking lot as we arrive to school. Kai, our second delta, walks over to Silas' car when we arrive to greet us.

"Happy day before your birthday Elias," Kai embraces me tightly, overtowering me with his height.

I roll my eyes at him as I push away my overly affectionate friend. "Kai, you know you don't need to announce it until it's my actual birthday man."

"Hey, I'm just being nice," he puts his hands up in surrender, to which Silas slightly pushes into him, laughing. "But seriously though, aren't you excited! You're going to be eighteen, you'll even find your mate!"

Someone scoffs from the car one over from ours, "you wish, only wolves worthy find their mate." Arabella, the delta from our rivalry pack butts in.

"You're one to talk," Silas retorts. "You're 18 and still don't have a mate"

"No one asked for your opinion, mutt," another voice adds emotionlessly. Ryder, the Alpha of the rivalry pack gets out of his car and glares at Silas.

"What did you just call him," I respond threateningly. Ryder looks down at me with little expression on his face before walking away, along with a smirking Arabella behind him. Ugh, how they make my blood boil.

Tobias - God I hate them.

Me too, Tobias, me too.

"I hate them, the annoying pricks" Kai mutters beside me, as we watch Arabella's long copper hair sway in her high pony as she makes her way into the school following Ryder. "I can't believe we have to go to the same school as them."

Silas and I mumble our agreement to Kai's comment.

"Sucks that this is only high school in between our packs," Silas comments.

The three of us make our way into the school building, hoping to stay clear of our rivalry pack for the rest of the day.

*

The day went by smoothly, with little fights between our rivalry pack.

Well, that was up until lunch when Ryder bumped into Silas making him drop his lunch outside the canteen.

"What's your fucking issue," Silas accuses Ryder, to which Ryder shrugged without a response. At that moment I knew this wasn't going to end well.

Pissed off, Silas quickly threw a punch to Ryder' jaw hitting perfectly. It isn't long before Ryder's beta and delta come to his side, along with Kai and I to Silas'.

Blaze, Rhy's beta is quick to defend his Alpha, sending a punch in Silas's direction which I took as I defended my Alpha. This just riles Silas and Kai up more, throwing punches in Blaze's direction.

The feud continues until it is broken up by teachers who sent our two groups in opposite directions, not bothering to send us to the principal as it never fixes anything.

*

"How was your day, boys?" Silas' mother asks us at dinner. Both of us shrug without much response.

"Don't tell me you got into another fight with the Ascota pack's Alpha?" Silas' dad, who is our packs main Alpha, asks next.

I look over to Silas waiting for him to respond first. "It's not my fault Ryder can't be decent for at least a day!" Silas argues.

Silas's mother, Samantha, rolls her eyes at her son. "Your petty feud with that boy needs to end, you're both Alphas, if you don't be careful you might start an unnecessary war with them"

"It's not m—"

"Which won't be helpful for either of the packs" Silas' father, Samual cuts in, giving his son a pointed look.

Silas sinks into his seat, not wanting to argue further with his parents. "On other matters, Elias, are you excited about your birthday tomorrow?" Samantha asks me, dragging their attention from Silas over to me.

"Yes I am, but also a little nervous, I don't want things to change too drastically," I respond, referring to my mate... if I find them.

"Nothing to be nervous about my boy," Samual interjects. "The changes that come with being of age is something you should never feel nervous or bad of," he continues looking at his wife with a massive smile.

"Ew," Silas grimaces beside me, making Samual push his son off his chair. Samantha and I laugh while Silas gives his father a dirty look. Samual shrugs, pretending to not know what happened.

————————————————————————

Hey, hey! Author here! Thank you so much for reading my story!

Let me know how you feel by commenting and/or voting <3