Peso Cuteness

I got a request from @Uniqedoll602 on my Octonauts Texting stories to write some Peso cuteness, but I decided to do it here because that's not really the vibe I'm going for with those stories. But here it is so yeah! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Haha, catch me if you can!" Kwazii laughed happily, as Peso chased him around the hallways, begging for the cat to give his stuffed animal back. 

"Kwazii! Give it back!" The little penguin's voice shook, as he chocked back tears. Kwazii, unaware of how upset Peso was, just kept running, enjoying feeling like the orange whirlwind he was. 

They ran for a while, and Peso's little penguin feet were getting tired. When they were out on missions and had been swimming for a while, Kwazii sometimes gave Peso a piggyback ride. 

But now, here he was, chasing after Kwazii, who was clutching Peso's stuffed fish in his paw. 

Peso's father had given him that fish, before he had died. He was the reason Peso wanted to become a medic. In Peso's eyes, if he couldn't save his father, he wouldn't let anyone else go through the pain of losing someone. 

Kwazii had good intentions, he never meant to upset anyone. But sometimes he went a little too far. Like the time he had scared the Humuhumus, he was just driving the Gup B, going quite a bit too fast, (as usual) and the fish got scared by his screeches. Or the many, many times he had crashed his Gup, and made Tweak mad. 

Or like now, when he had stolen Peso's stuffed fish, not knowing that it meant anything to him. If Kwazii knew it had a special meaning to his friend, he would never be playing this so-called game. 

A game. 

That's what Kwazii thought it was. Nothing more than a simple little game. 

But to Peso, it was who he called his best friend, running away with the last thing his father had given to him. 

He started to cry, slowing down on the chase. Kwazii was too busy yowling and leaping to pay any attention to the sobs he was sub-consciously hearing from behind. Neither of them noticed the polar bear coming around the corner. 

"Oof!" Kwazii bumped right into Barnacles, Peso joining their crumpled heap a few seconds later. Barnacles took one look at Peso, and then turned to Kwazii, who still had the fish in his grip. "What's going on?" The Captain asked, fully expecting Kwazii to make up some random excuse. But all he did was stutter. "I... I, um," Peso wiped his eyes, trying not to show that he was crying. Realising what had happened, Barnacles took the fish out of Kwazii's paw, giving him a hard look, and handed it back to Peso, lifting the little penguin into his arms. "Shh, it's ok." He quietly comforted taking him back to his pod, leaving Kwazii to his staring contest with the ground. 

Barnacles let Peso cry for a few minutes, just rubbing his back, before gently asking what had happened. "I was - I was in my pod," he started, "and Kwazii came in and took my stuffed fish, and then he ran away with it." Barnacles knew the deal with the stuffed fish. He knew it was special to Peso. But he also knew that Kwazii didn't. He needed to go talk to Kwazii. 

***

"I'm sorry Captain, I didn't think I was doing anything wrong." Kwazii said genuinely. "I know you didn't. But you know Peso's sensitive about his stuffed animals, I don't understand why you thought it was a good idea to run off with one." Barnacles replied. Kwazii opened his mouth, ready to ramble some stupid excuse, but closed it again at the Captain's look. He thought for a minute, before saying, "I thought it was a game, I didn't know it had any special meaning to Peso. If I had known, I wouldn't have done it, but I didn't know, so I ran off with it because I thought it would be fun for both of us. Usually he doesn't mind when I run off with his stuff, he likes chasing me around the Octopod." He lowered his eyes. "I think he does, anyway." His words were rushed and uncharacteristic, and Kwazii blushed slightly after saying them. 

Barnacles  was kind of shocked, he had never heard Kwazii say anything like that before. usually he just made up excuses, not wanting to get in trouble. But now, he had hurt his best friend and he was truly sorry. "I think you need to tell Peso that." 

***

Peso was sitting on his bed, head resting on his knees, when the orange pirate cat came and sat down next to him. "Peso, matey, I didn't mean to upset you. I thought it was just a game." When Peso didn't respond, he continued, "I didn't know the fish had a special meaning to you, I wouldn't have taken it if I had known." He pulled Peso into his lap, and wrapped his arms around him. Peso snuggled into Kwazii, deciding that he forgave him. "I love you little matey," Peso smiled at that, and hugged Kwazii tighter.

***

Half and hour later, Barnacles walked in to see his two best friends asleep on each other's shoulders. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! That took me a while! Please don't think this is a ship, it's just platonic love. I hope you enjoyed Uniquedoll602 and anyone else who reads!