Chapter 28: Christmas

Start from the beginning

He sighed too, squeezing my shoulder for a moment before taking a seat beside me in silence.

"I can't tell you what to do, kid," he said, before smirking. "Not that you've ever listened to me anyway."

"True," I laughed hollowly, and the smile faded quickly. "My family is here, my pack is here," I murmured. "But my he, he isn't."

"And what is he? To you?" Dad asked quietly before sipping his coffee. I frowned at him, I'd already told him this. He rose a brow that said 'humour me'.

"He's my mate, my soulmate, he's the love of my life, he... is my life," I answered honestly. It sounded cheesy, but it was the truth, one I knew for certain.

"Then your life isn't here," dad said simply.

I looked at him in shock.

"What?" I blinked. That is not what I was expecting.

"Son, you just said he's your life. But he isn't here, so your life isn't here. Don't stop living it for anything," he said wisely, and there were so many emotions lingering behind his eyes. "Us Stilinski men, we love hard. Long distance isn't our thing."

"I'm not leaving you," I said stubbornly, locking my jaw.

"Stiles," he chuckled with a shake of his head. "You don't have to take care of me anymore, kid. Melissa's got that covered now," he smiled at the mention of her, and I couldn't help returning it.

They were so great for each other- took care of each other. It was a relief, really. For Scott and I to know that they both had someone that wasn't just us.

"I can't leave the pack," I said instead, because the mere thought was painful.

"As much as you're the glue, they won't fall apart if you move a few hours away, Stiles," Dad smiled fondly, proudly at me. "You're all grown up now, you all need to live your lives. The pack is scattered as it is, but they always come back. Hell, some of them don't even live on this continent! But you're all still pack. Besides, Derek's mated to Emmett. It's only a matter of time until the packs base of operations moves out there."

I sat silently as I thought through everything he had said. And I couldn't dispute any of it.

"Look, I'm not saying it won't be hard. We're all family. But family doesn't need to be living on top of each other all the time," he reasoned with another comforting shoulder squeeze. He left me alone with my coffee and my thoughts, parting with a, "come down for breakfast when you're ready."

I sank back against my headboard, cradling my coffee close and taking sips of the liquid gold as I thought. I'd have to give up so much. The future of working with my dad at the station, the one I'd been working so hard for. Seeing my dad and Melissa and the local pack members daily. Living in my hometown, where all the memories of my mother remained. Seeing Scott and Derek every day. Leaving everything I know and love behind, with only short visits.

But did the gain outweigh all of that?

I closed my eyes and pictured Paul's face, wearing that beautiful, shy smile that was only for me. I let my mind run rampant with visions of a small house under towering trees, of myself curled up with a book on a hammock on the front porch. Of sunsets and sunrises on our private corner of the beach. Of me working in the small, local police station, just like the one here, but without my dad. Of Paul coming home from work, tired and looking like a grease monkey, but smiling at me with radiant love anyway. Of nights in the pack house. Of nights in the Cullen house. Of welcoming my pack members into our home when they came to visit.

Would it be worth it?

The answer was a simple, painful, resounding yes.

Yes, I could give it all up for him. For Paul Lahote and for our forever together.

I felt a smile spread across my face. Well alright then.

I made it into the kitchen to Scott and Isaac screaming "MERRY CHRISTMAS" as loud as they possibly could. Which, in hindsight, they do it every damn year... so should I have jumped out of my skin and fumbled my, thankfully empty, coffee cup? No, the answer is no.

"Stiles-," Scott was cracking up so hard he couldn't breathe as I gave Melissa a said hug before taking a seat.

"I know, I know," I huffed, practically drooling at the contents of the table.

Melissa was an excellent cook- and normally I would help, but I was a bit off this morning. This had been a tradition long before my dad and her finally got together. Two single parents with two boys who were best friends? We always did Christmas together. We used to alternate houses every year, but that wasn't a problem anymore. When we were kids, Scott and I would have a contest to see who could scare who with shouting the traditional greeting. And now, as adults... we of course kept it up... much to the complaining of the adult adults. But they smiled secret smiles every time, so we knew they actually loved it.

"Merry Christmas guys," I smiled at my family around the table, stacked high with all of the best breakfast foods.

Smiles and Merry Christmas's were exchanged as we ate our breakfast. We chatted as we ate, and the atmosphere was the same as it always was on Christmas morning. Full of love and joy and basking in the warmth of the family surrounding us. We emptied the table of food in no time, and Melissa beamed at our compliments. We moved directly to the living room afterwards, Dad and Melissa squeezing into the lazy boy and us three boys taking up every last inch of the couch. We only had the morning together, Dad and Melissa both had to work evenings. Which was no surprise, honestly. But we always made the best of it, and they always made it special.

"Who's the elf this year?" Isaac asked excitedly.

Scott smiled at him with so much adoration, I almost felt like I was intruding just witnessing it. They were so sickeningly in love. It was beautiful and god I loved seeing it. They were made for each other. They both deserved nothing but the best, and thats each other.

"Why don't you do it?" He kissed his cheek and Isaac smiled, shooting up from the couch.

"Okay!" The wolf said excitedly.

Within minutes he had all of the gifts handed out, stacking small piles in front of each of us. With each placement, he said the persons name and smiled excitedly at them. Christmas was still magic, even if we weren't kids anymore. Scott and I were practically bouncing in our seats as Isaac did his work, sipping on our second cup of Christmas coffee. My eye caught a small, square gift wrapped in simple brown paper and tied up with twine. I picked up it gingerly, reading the card. "My Mieczy, I wish I could see your infectious smile when you open this. Love, your moon." Me heart swelled and I caught dad's secretive grin across the room. Paul must have brought this with him when he was down to make sure it was here for me on Christmas. And dad was obviously in on it.

I chuckled as I realized how alike we thought. I had given Paul's gift to Emmett when they were here.

Everyone began to open their gifts, but I barely noticed as I gently tore the paper away from a small, black box. I opened the lid and gasped. My heart swelled in my chest, and I wouldn't deny that tears sprang to my eyes. Inside was a handmade necklace and bracelet pairing. Both were made out of what looked like hand carved wood, bone and stone. The centre of each had a single, larger, bone bead with a symbol carved into it. The symbol of their pack, the symbol that was tattooed on each of member. The carving was so tiny, so intricate. It was beautiful craftsmanship, and I was thoroughly impressed. All of the wood and stone beads were round and smooth, arranged in a slightly irregular pattern. There wasn't a single doubt in my mind... Paul had carved each of these beads himself.